captbly99

May 30, 2005
Well boys, bad news, my precious KDX was stolen a week ago today. I blame it on myself and it is a live and learn situation that I am paying dearly for. So, I already heard and know about the "I always lock mine up", etc :blah:

I was going to a race early Saturday morning, so I decided to load the bike in the back of hubby's pick up truck 8 P.M. Friday night(done it before :bang: ), I backed it 2" from the garage door to try and deter theft(obviously didn't work) so the tailgate couldn't drop down.
Well, at about 4:30 A.M., I heard my bike go by the house, winding out going up the hill and out of the subdivision :pissed: It was the worst sound and my heart sank.I said to hubby, "I think that was my bike". I jumped up and ran out(with no contacts in and I am blind as a bat) and couldn't see the outline of a bike in the truck and ran back in and said, "yep, that was my bike!", followed by lots of profanity! I ran in the bathroom to put my "specs" in(hands trembling) and called 911 and hubby got clothes on and jumped in the car to try to find it, to no avail.

We have lived in this neighborhood for 15 years, owned the KDX for 10 years. I do think it might have been some punk kid up the street who lives back and forth between this 'hood and his Dad's, but he grew up riding his bike in my driveway, I never would have thought he would have done such a thing, but I comfirmed he left a house up the street at 1:30A.M. and the KDX cruised by at 4:30, only makes sense to me.
Also, a 4 wheeler was stolen out of a locked garage this past Thursday. So, maybe he would have gotten mine eventually, I just made it easier for him. It has to be someone who knows the 'hood to know that 4 wheeler was in that garage AND it was done in broad day light(11 a.m.) and he rode it out of the subdivision. Tomorrow the rest of the bikes are getting locked up IN the garage!

Here is a picture:
Maybe you can help keep an eye out, where ever you live.
Ya never know.
VinKDX200Stolen.jpg

Thanks,
Michele

ridejunky

Dec 6, 2005
Sorry to hear about that, if it is that little punk, maybe you will get it back. I've got to ask, If you backed up 2'' from the garage door (I do the same) how could he get the bike out by himself w/o
lifting it out or opening the garage? even with 2 punks I cant see them lifting it over the side without
scratching the #$@* out of the truck.

syar

Nov 21, 2005
Wow, that sucks! I left my Buell XB12R in my truck last night (heading to a track day today) and I did the same thing as you (parked close to the garage door). Now, I'm paranoid and I'll be locking it up with a cable or disk lock the next time.

Jan 16, 2005
These stories always make my blood boil. There had to be at the least, two people involved. Unless the side of the truck looks like a crushed beer can now. I hope you get it back.

captbly99

May 30, 2005
thanks for the condolences guys, here is a pic of the truck, it really isn't that bad............they must have had 3, at least, to do such minimal damage:
47d17ef7.jpg

(the red, is old paint underneath)

Well, I must admit, I am thinking about replacing her with a pumpkin :) I always "talked" about it, but knew I never would, mine was bought and paid for and I knew it inside and out.
But, now the time has come to do it and I think it is time to go orange, sorry. Probably '00 to '03, 200 or 250EXC.
I am not rushing into anything, and I am hoping to get to ride many different bikes before my final decision.

sick 96 250

Damn Yankees
Jul 16, 2004
wow that really sucks, def keep an eye on craigslist dot com, stolen crap is always popping up on there, my buddy just retreived his stolen street bike that someone was trying to sell on there a week after it was taken. Also check around any local wooded area's, that was another thing around my way when dirt bikes or quads got stolen somehow a lot of them ended up back in our local woods somewhere cause the people who stole them had no where to really store them. best of luck to ya

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Sorry to hear that.

I take exception to the 'blame myself' part. Fact is, if the world was not filled with thieves, liars, adulterers and *******s you could easily leave your bike sitting in the driveway for a week....leave your house unlocked and the garage door wide open every day...and suffer no ill from it.

That the world IS filled with such isn't your doing, not your responsibility. Sure, it's your problem. There is a very good chance that had it been locked in there would have been just more damage to the truck getting it out.

Small solace, but they WILL get theirs. Guaranteed.

captbly99

May 30, 2005
Well boys, the KDX never turned up :(
But, I got the coolest Mother's Day gift.........................

daab81c9.jpg

:yeehaw:
Sorry, but I am totally stoked! :) It's an '03 model.
I think it is the next move up, don't get me wrong, I LOVED my KDX and still miss it, but I am afraid after a few rides on this I might forget it. I did get to test ride it in the yard last night, and it scared me, but it was fun, fun, fun! I am thinking maybe a throttle cam and a power valve adjustment and I will be good to go. The suspension seemed sweet! Not the seat of course, but that is on order, not quite the couch, like the KDX.

Anyway, thanks for all your help, I know I am a traitor, but, kinda pround of it! :moon:
~michele

Tusk

Apr 5, 2006
Way to go! Glad to see there's something exciting between your legs again! (sorry I know this is a family board) :laugh:

Speaking of family, what's your daughter up to? "Strike a Pose"! :cool:

KDX CRAZY

Sep 22, 2005
Sorry to hear about your loss but that Katoom is sweet .

About 15 years ago we could leave a bike in the back of a truck and it would be safe here in South Africa . Now if you leave the bike behind a 8 ft wall with the Gates locked it will be stolen over the wall .
My bike is locked in a garage with a car in front of it and the yard gate locked to try keep it safe .

captbly99

May 30, 2005
Tusk said:
Way to go! Glad to see there's something exciting between your legs again! (sorry I know this is a family board) :laugh:
:laugh: no doubt!

Tusk said:
Speaking of family, what's your daughter up to? "Strike a Pose"! :cool:
That is her "walk like an egyptian pose"!
She is just a ham!

JasonRan

Jun 6, 2005
Wow, that really sucks...I'm sorry to hear that happened to you. I have always been overly paranoid about stuff like that...I guess it is the insurnace agent in me. Did you have insurance on the bike? I have my bike insured with Progressive and it is $80 a year with low deductibles and high coverages. It's a lot of piece of mind and I don't worry as much. I still keep a padlock on it and we have an alarm on our house. The best thing about an event like this is to learn from it. I hate that you lost the KDX, but the KTM is a great bike. My brother has a 250 EXC and loves it. Again, I'm sorry this happened. I'll keep an eye out for the bike since I am just over the state line in Alabama.

Top Bottom