Stop spooge leak at cylinder/ pipe

KTM-Lunatic

~SPONSOR~
Mar 2, 2000
Please forgive me for this question i know this question has been asked before but i was unable to find it with the search . Im having a bad spooge leak at the pipe / cylinder connection .On my 99 Ktm 300 exc. I beleive Ive read that some people use a high temp silicon to make a better seal . Or if anyone has a better sugestion Please feel free to reply:think

fremontguy

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 1, 2000
I would be interested in hearing about a solution also. I've tried the Ktm rubber sleeves, but they break down and crack(leaking spooge). Right now I have oodles of copper high temp sealant on it, and a real tight spring to hold the two together. Still leaks. Oops, I thought you ment the pipe, silencer connection.:o

Last edited:

yarbonwick

Sponsoring Member
Mar 7, 2000
Are the springs weak? Over time they tend to loose their compression abilities. Also, some double up on the gaskets. Aside from that, I believe Eric can true the outlet.

KDXfile

~SPONSOR~
Dec 6, 1999
I always had this problem with my old 98' 200. Sometimes the pipe would get knocked out of alignment and make it leak worse but it always leaked.

Last edited:

TexKDX

~SPONSOR~
Aug 8, 1999
Permatex Red RTV. Clean the area real well, put a big 'ole bead of the stuff around the inside of pipe, then try to get it lined up and on there in one shot. If your pipe is bent some it will leak again faster than if it is true in shape.

KTM-Lunatic

~SPONSOR~
Mar 2, 2000
Fremontguy

The soultion to your problem is easy ,
3 inch section of heater hose
2 hose clamps
a little oil, easyer to slide on pipe

Total cost at auto parts about 10.00 buck

This solved my problem, last year and no leak since

Thanks Tex KDX
I wasnt sure about the type of sealer , Now thanks to you I now remember :cool:

Last edited:

Strick

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 8, 1999
Three suggestions.
1) rubber inner o-ring inside of the pipe - female end
2) thick outer rubber o-ring on the bevelled area of the male pipe receptor
(man that sounds obscene)
3) Lots of high temp RTV, I use the orange/bronze color.

Be sure the pipe fits well up against the cylinder receptor. It is OK to grab the pipe and bend it to make it fit properly.

I have had great success with fitting pipes on my KTMs, until some stupid log or rock that I am launching over, decides to bend the pipe (not dent-bend)

Good LucK!

Top Bottom