MXGirl230

Stupid tires and trees
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Dec 19, 2002
Requested by Zero It

Back in the beginning of September we hit our favorite track for open practice. Second lap of the day I decide to hit this horrible table top that had been added to the "back section". For some reason the track owners decided to make a 40-45' table top out of BEACH SAND! Very easy jump, problem was the sand. I figured jumping it was way easier than rolling it. The top was horrible, cross rutted and deep sand. Not that the landing was better...

Anyway,

Went for it 3rd gear jump. Sailing through the air, I start to spot my landing. When I landed, the front wheel came to a dead stop. The back end flew into the air and I slid forward into the handlebars. This caused my right hand to slip off and I fell even more forward and my right hand slammed into the grown. With all of my weight (my whole 115lbs) slamming into my hand. When I did this my arm was straight and it jammed my whole arm into my shoulder socket. I then continued my forward fall and somersaulted down the rest of the landing, bike tumbling after me. When I finally came to a stop I was flat on my face w/my legs over the top of my head.

I untangled myself and realized my shoulder and wrist hurt. I tried to move my right wrist, but couldn't. I thought great I broke my wrist. I started feeling it w/my left hand and felt a bone was out of place. So I just popped that back in and the pain went away. My shoulder still hurt though. I got it to move and worked out the stiffness. Felt okay after that.

I finally got the bike dug out of the sand and got going again. Went back to the trailer and popped a few Ibuprofen. I rested for a few minutes and rode the rest of the day. I still had pain in it all day, but I am too stubborn to stop riding sometimes.

The next day while in church it REALLY started to hurt. That night we went to the doctor. They looked at it, X-rayed and said it was "just sprained give it time". I wasn't too thrilled with my service, I mean lack of service there. Believe me I filled out one of those 'how are we doing" slips.

Two weeks later I tried to race...bad idea. I could barely hang on. Luckily I had all of my points and my 2nd place locked up for the season. I couldn't even do my 2nd moto...

Two months goes by...it STILL hurts to do things. Lift heavy things, raise my arm over my head. I finally get an appointment with the orthopedic doc. I get there realize it's the dude that did my knee surgery. He's like, um yeah..I'm kinda the knee guy not really the shoulder guy. This was after a series of moving it and irritating it more than it already was. :yell:

What's wrong with it is in this paragraph!!
So another MRI was scheduled and an appointment is made with the "shoulder guy" for three weeks later. I see him he tells me nothing is torn. I was glad to hear this. I wasn't looking forward to shoulder surgery and spending the winter in a sling. He said when I jammed my shoulder into the socket I irritated the rotator cuff. So he prescribed 6wks of PT to "strengthen" it. He said I have been "babying" it for too long. This was during his whole moving my arm around deal to irritate it.

Well yeah! It took three weeks from the time of the MRI to see him. He had those results in one week. Why couldn't he have called (or have his special nurse call) me and say "nothing is torn, let's schedule PT." Instead of charging me $20 to tell me that in person? :think:

Anyway, that's my story. I'll post how PT is going...I'm getting tired of my shoulder hurting. I'm right handed and really need my shoulder bad. I have to be able to lift 50lbs repeatedly throughout the day...

My first PT session is tomorrow...we'll see how irritated they can make my shoulder.

Sorry it's long!

Oh yeah!! On the way to the track that day I said to Phil, "You know, I have never crashed landing a jump before." :bang:

-Tracie-

Last edited:

kdx200chick

Mar 27, 2004
OUCH!!! I sure hope your physical therapy goes well. When all is done, you will feel SO much better. Remember...NO SURGERY!!!! That's the best news after all right? Meanwhile, has he said that you may continue to ride?

Take care!
Petra

bbbom

~SPONSOR~
Aug 13, 1999
Shoulder injuries suck big time, any injury sucks too I guess. It took me about a full year to get my shoulder back to normal after a simple tip over in my driveway on my streetbike. I was more worried about my knee on that one but doc said it was fine.

After 4 months of my shoulder bothering me (knee was fine in a couple weeks), I went to the doc. He ordered xrays & ultrasound and both said nothing was torn or broken so I tried accupuncture which helped a little but after 2 months (and $600) of treatments I gave up. My shoulder still bothered me whenever I rode or tried to raise any weight with it. I started my own PT then. I lifted as heavy as I could with bench press, bench flyes, shoulder raises over head and front/back/side raises.

It hurt like heck but eventually, about 6 weeks of steady 2x a week work it started to feel better. Not sure if the scar tissue broke loose or I just strengthened the muscles enough but it hasn't bothered me since and that was 2 years ago.

So, there is hope, and you probably aren't as old as me (42 - yikes!) so you should recover faster. Just keep with the PT and do all the work they tell you to do.

Sorry I can't offer any quick recovery advice but at least mine finally got better and yours will too (hopefully quicker)! Good luck Tracie!

GETMETOCA

Can't Wait For Tuesdays
Mar 17, 2002
Tracie, you're a tough cookie - I'm sorry you have been going through all this pain and frustration for SO LONG!!! :(

tonibaloney

I'm here
Sep 19, 2006
tough cookie is right! i have a ton of respect for you girls out there on the track, jumpin and all! it's not for me, no no. i take it easy, whatever it takes to make it to work in one piece on monday. hope your recovery is a quick one mx!

MXGirl230

Stupid tires and trees
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Dec 19, 2002
Thanks ladies for the kind words and suggestions. I'll be good in a few weeks...I'm just fragile I guess! Can't seem to ever just get a simple sprain that lasts a few days or a mild concussion. Oh no I go all out when it comes to crashing!

It's just frustrating not being able to lift the stuff I'm used to. I HATE asking for help with things. I'm kinda stubborn that way. When I sell a car battery, I walk over to the counter and pick one up and start carrying it to the counter. I always have guys that are like "I'll get that". I usually say, "no thanks, I do this all the time". I might be small, but I'm strong. I don't like being weak...and this is not working for me. I have been lifting things just to get some of my "pride" back. It hurts, but I deal with it. I figure there are people out there in a whole lot more pain that what I have been in and they deal with it. So I can deal with it too.

I won't skip out on the PT. I learned a long time ago to listen to the doc...

Tough cookie, lol. I hear that ALL the time! :)

Bbbom, I have been trying to lift more at the gym. I wasn't doing hardly any upper body, because it hurt too dang bad. A few times I hurt worse for a few days and had to back off...well I have backed off for a month now. It's feeling better, but it's not better. There is still a lot of pain, numbness, tingling going on.

MXGirl230

Stupid tires and trees
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Dec 19, 2002
Rough day today!

Dang no matter what I did today I got in trouble...lol

First at work THEN at my first visit for PT. :bang:

I guess I slouch, a lot and that has caused strain also....he's sure scare tissue has started to develop. Today was just looking at the range of motion and strength (that I have left) in it. I have to work on my posture though....ugh...

I'll have my first real session on Thursday.

Susan, no haven't tried the massage. Never really thought about it...

The Ant

Jan 3, 2002
I had a PT do Ultrasound Massage on my hand once to help break up scar tissue and it really helped, plus it felt good! This was months after the initial injury.

Guess I've had lots of experience in rehab too.... :- 0
-SusanP.

zero_it

~SPONSOR~
May 20, 2000
Geez, it's bad enough getting hurt, but then to have all those doctors screwing around costing you valuable riding/racing time! Of course they are just "practicing" medicine, you know. Glad to hear you're on the road to recovery now with the physical terrorist. Those sessions are never fun, but worth the pain & suffering to get back on the bike. Now sit up straight, quit staring at the computer and get to work on that shoulder!

MXGirl230

Stupid tires and trees
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Dec 19, 2002
First real PT session

Finally got my first real PT session. He had me working with this pulley thing to get my range of motion back, which is horrible right now. Then he massaged the stiffness out of it. I guess once we get the range of motion back, then we'll work on getting the strength back. So it wasn't too bad, we talked about motorcycles. He doesn't know anything about dirt bikes, just a little about street bikes. He thinks I'm nuts "doing those big jumps like that". lol

WomanRider

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jul 19, 2006
MXGirl230 said:
He thinks I'm nuts "doing those big jumps like that". lol

Most PTs do not understand our sport and the thrill of tackling tough sections. Last year I had PT on my lower back(degenerative arthritis), nothing from riding bikes. The PT just noted she had many dirt bike clients. Unfortunity we must be considered their job security.

MXGirl230

Stupid tires and trees
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Dec 19, 2002
The Ant said:
Haha, I had one ask if he should just make me a standing Monday morning session.

-SusanP.

Nice!!

The one I had back in the spring, fixing my back creeped me out. She seemed to be able to read my mind....it was freaky and I haven't been able to see her since. I don't get creeped out easy either, but she managed to do it! Although she knew what she was doing. She even fixed my head/neck from my bad crash back in '02.

tonibaloney

I'm here
Sep 19, 2006
nikki420chic said:
**** that must suck to live in the states with all the medical bills ...are goverment covers are bills n company

actually, i'd take your country's medical program over beer on sunday in a heartbeat! :nod:

mtk

Jun 9, 2004
nikki420chic said:
**** that must suck to live in the states with all the medical bills ...are goverment covers are bills n company

And your taxes are outrageously high to pay for it, not to mention the quality of care isn't as high. If it was, people wouldn't be coming south of the border for medical treatment. Not to mention that over 85% of all new drugs are developed in the USA.

There are no free lunches in life and socialized medicine is but one example of this universal truth.

nikki420chic

Nov 9, 2006
i wasn't saying anything against ur countrys medical ..i was just stating that it gets payed threw are medical at work thats all...n yes i know most drugs are made in the u.s lol..n yes are damn taxes are way to high b.c has the highest taxes in CANADA! ..lol...stupid b.s taxes they come out with just another way for the goverment 2 get ur money

MXGirl230

Stupid tires and trees
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Dec 19, 2002
nikki420chic said:
just another way for the goverment 2 get ur money

To help pay for your "free" health care... :nener:

MXGirl230

Stupid tires and trees
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Dec 19, 2002
In the county I live in you can't buy alcohol on Sundays.

Top Bottom