Straghtening and bracing subframe?

KawieKX125

~SPONSOR~
Oct 9, 2000
After a rather spectacular highside, I was left with a tweaked subframe. While trying to tweak it back, many of the welds broke and I am no longer able to use it. I have some options and wanted your opinion on them
1)Ac racing aftermarket subframe. 160 dollars. No idea of quality, fit, or strength,
2)BBR subframe. 240 from dealer. I am assuming it is of outstanding quality, but is it stronger than stock?
3)Reweld, gusset, and strengthen stock subframe. I guess around 150 dollars. This would include major re-engineering and welding. Professionally done.

What do you think of each choice?
Is it worth it to just reweld the stockerr?
Would the extra strength of the gusseting make a difference in a bad crash, or would it just be harder to tweak back if it got bent?
Would I possible cause main frame damage if I had a super strong subframe?

Sorry about the stupid questions, but I am in a pickle and really want to ride and have peace of mind about the rear of my bike. I would also cry if I spent loads of money on and of the above options and bent it in a crash my first day out, so keep that in mind.

Thanks for the help.
:)

AGGHHHH, I spelled the topic wrong! Man, I feel like an idiot. I proofread it too. :p

CanadianRidr

Sponsoring Member
Oct 22, 2001
I have heard of bad things about the fit and finish of the AC subframe, but mainly on CR'S, but some real bad things like, not even close to fitting, and way worse quality. Personally I would get the BBR because if you are going to bend a subframe you will bend it, it's just they way they are.

Buzzsaw

Oct 7, 1999
Subframes

I just got an AC Racing subframe for my '01 YZ and it did fit pretty good. Finish isn't too bad, there are some tooling marks on it, but I can't complain. Luckily I got a screaming deal on mine, but I heve seen them for $145 on line.

Camstyn

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 3, 1999
I've heard that the AC subframes are complete trash and need severe modification to even come close to fitting properly. I wouldn't waste my money on one. The fellow with the '01 YZ is the first person I have ever heard of that has had anything other than a terrible experience with that product.

I'd go with the BBR.

KawieKX125

~SPONSOR~
Oct 9, 2000
If mine cannot be fixed by yanking and welding, then I am going to get a BBR one.
I just spoke with them and Duane was more than willing to answer all my questions. He said it is much stronger and will take a crash that would tweak the stocker so that sold me.
I feel bad though because they have a 3 week wait and my dealer can get it for 80 bucks cheaper from white brothers in a week. Oh well, I guess BBR makes money off it anyway it is sold.

But, now I have another problem, frame brackets that hold the subframe on are cracking. I guess I will strip the frame and have it reinforced and gusseted too. Dangit!

Camstyn

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 3, 1999
Definitely.. I wouldn't order directly unless you're sponsored or something.

As for the frame cracking, mine isn't cracking but I am planning on doing a complete teardown this winter to get it gussetted for extra strength as well. It can't hurt...

Wanabe

Feb 6, 2001
I bent my YZ250 subframe pretty bad this summer and bought a new stock one from powersports pro for only $139 it was the best deal I could find.

01Yama125

Oct 26, 2001
We purchased an YZ AC sub and fit fairly well. It had some marks and it had an insert come out of the silencer mounting hole. Other than those it has done the job.

KawieKX125

~SPONSOR~
Oct 9, 2000
I looked hi and low for a cheap stock kawasaki subframe and the cheapest was around 400! There is a ton of irony to this whole situation too. On Ebay about a week ago some guy was selling a complete tail section complete with subframe and airbox new for my bike for 125 dollars. I passed on it even though I knew I would probably bend mine in the future. I am really kicking myself now!:p Oh well, live and learn. :D

bscottr

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 20, 2001
AC Racing Subframes.....JUNK!

I just installed one on my '99 CR250 and what a POS. I had to grind the top mount to clear the upper shock mount bolt to start with and the lower mounts didn't line up very well.

Finally got it installed with the airbox, rear fender, etc. only to discover that the center of the rear fender lines up with the right side of the rear tire when viewing from the rear of the bike. (About two inches to the right of where it should be.)

The bike looks worse now than it did with the crashed subframe. IMO don't spend your money with AC Racing products until they improve their quality control.

Does anyone know of a Kawasaki dealer (online) that offers discounts similar to that of Service Honda?

Good Luck,
Scott

Top Bottom