xxtrurida75xx

Feb 9, 2009
I have someone who is willing to sell me a 1990 cr125 that is in great cosmetic shape and has not been raced for $300. The bike is not running because someone put straight gas in it, should I go for this or is it not worth it because of the damage? How much damage could this have caused?
NOTE: I found this because i placed an ad on craigslist looking for a bike in need of work because im looking for a project but is this not worth it for the price? the seller said a top end rebuild will prpbably take care of this but i dont know if he is just trying to bs me. thanks.

OKKX'er

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 10, 2001
The only lubrication the main bearings, and both the big end and small end rod bearings receive is from the oil in the fuel. They would be damaged in just a short time of running on straight gas. You would have to put almost $500 of parts, even if you did the labor.

xxtrurida75xx

Feb 9, 2009
damn that sucks...I was looking for a fun project to not have to dump a whole lot of money into but I guess theres no chance of that happening. thanks alot

JD-250

Sep 6, 2003
A Project bike is usually another name for money pit. There is a chance it only needs a top end but you really don't know until you tear it apart.

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
If the bike was 10 years newer it would be worth it.

I suspect that the bearings are OK, they can actually take quite a bit of abuse. The cylinder, however, is likely to be scored pretty bad. If the cylinder is the type that can be bored oversize then you would be looking at a cylinder bore (~$150) and a top end kit (~$250). If the cylinder can not be bore then you will need a "sleeve", have it bored and plated, which can cost quite a bit more.

There are "pros" and "cons" to doing this.

On the "pro" side you would have a bike with a fresh engine. Just about any old bike you buy is probably going to need a top end rebuild.

On the "con" side there could be more damage and require additional work.

If that is the bike that you really want then it might be worth it. If you are just looking for a cheap bike I think that you would be better off paying twice as much for a bike that actually ran, then do a top end rebuild on it. If you do the top end before it seizes you can avoid the expensive cylinder work.

Rod

Top Bottom