Straight rate PDS springs vs. Progressive

Bob Brooks

Jan 6, 2001
Hi guys! I have an '01 300 MXC that I am very pleased with. I finally got the jetting dialed in and am overall in love with the bike except one achilles heel...the suspension. In my opinion, compared to the Jap bikes I've ridden in years past, the WP suspension, at least from the factory, is sub-par. I ride woods mostly, with some hare scrambles racing and a little bit of MX and my bike is way too soft both ends for aggressive riding. It works fine in the technical singletrack stuff, but when the speeds increase and the bumps and obstacles get bigger, it's just too bloody soft to work. For starters, I know I need to buy stiffer springs for both ends and probably have a revalve done. I've heard quite a bit about guys using straight rate springs on the rear. Does anyone have experience with this and is the straight rate spring the way to go? Does anyone have any recommendations on spring rates for both ends? I weigh 210 lbs. and am a B-level rider.

JPIVEY

Sponsoring Member<br>Club Moderator
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 9, 2001
I'm not going to be much help here, but I just had mine done, I'm 205 lbs, I race the desert ( if you call crashing racing )and So Cal suspension went with 46s in the front and a straight rate in the rear, I'm told that the front is set up for high and low speed hits.

Thats is about as much as I know other than it was the best $700.00 I spent

So. Cal suspension is a MX tech associate

DanS

Sponsoring Member
Dec 6, 2000
SoCal Suspension did the work on my KTM too. They are an MX-Tech associate so what you're getting is an MX-Tech suspension job. They are one of the best in the industry. I went with .44's and 7.5wt oil (Mobile1 ATF) in the forks and 9.0 straight rate, lowflow pistons, and new valving for the rear. This is set up for desert racing so it would probably not be what you would end up with. I suggest you call MX-Tech and go with their recomendations. They did an outstanding job on my bike and the service is first rate.

Top Bottom