JAFChE

Oct 23, 2000
While at the local Yamaha shop last week, looking for some information on the new TTR lineup for my son's new bike, I noticed that they had a freshly un-crated and assembled 03' YZF250 AND 03' YZF450 setting on the showroom floor. I asked the salesman to show me how easy these new models were supposed to start with the new auto-decompression system.

He proceeded to show me how easy they start, and I wouldn't have believed it, but I saw it with my own eyes...the sales guy started the YZF250 by cranking over the kick-starter using his hand! :thumb: (first try) the bike wasn't warmed up either.

Then...he proceeded to do the same with the 450!!! :eek: (3 tries)

Now I can do the same with my 400EXC using the kick-start, but I'd bet dollars to donuts that NOBODY would have even attempted this feat with their 02' YZF426!

I just can't figure out why Yamaha was so "stubborn" as to wait for so long to incorporate the auto-decompressor system into the YZF/WR lineup. IMHO they would have got a lot more sales (read kept more, or increased, their marketshare) if the stories of how hard it was to start these machines weren't so prevalent. I know that I'd probably be riding a blue bike if I hadn't discovered the beauty of having a "Button". :thumb:

Now if they'd just lose those cheapa$$ stock handlebars and put on a quiet exhaust! ;) I could probably live without the hydraulic clutch...well, maybe not! :flame:

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Once the engines are broken in and the rings seal properly you won't be starting them with your hand. :)

JAFChE

Oct 23, 2000
Originally posted by Rich Rohrich
Once the engines are broken in and the rings seal properly you won't be starting them with your hand. :)

It was pretty impressive though! :thumb:

And no, I don't think you'll see Tim Ferry cranking over a YZF450 or WRF450 (the button) with his hand either. :confused: LOL!!!

JAFChE

Oct 23, 2000
Originally posted by dave186
what dealer was it? Snake River?

Yes Dave, it was the Superstore in Meridian.

Didn't ask if they were spoken for, didn't want one, so I didn't ask. I'd bet they were picked up for the weekend races at OMC and probably have all the knobs worn off the tires and some paint missing from the side cases by now! Might even have a bent or broken lever or two, knowing those motocrossers! :confused:

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Originally posted by motohead00
I can still start my KTM 250RFS with my hand. WITh the kickstarter and NOT the button. ;) :p

Maybe that explains why they are so slow :confused:

SFO

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 16, 2001
Originally posted by JAFChE

I just can't figure out why Yamaha was so "stubborn" as to wait for so long to incorporate the auto-decompressor system into the YZF/WR lineup

After the carnage of multiple decompressor failures on the rfs I for one am not too crazy about putting more contraptions on my camshaft.
There is also a history of auto decompression failures with other models that create more trouble than they are worth, reliability wise.
Finding tdc is pretty easy, I think.
It appears the crf is well sorted in this department though.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Maybe so Rich, but your quick quips aren't :moon:

Sorry, I couldn't resist :)

Truth to tell, I'm really disappointed in KTM for not doing a purpose built 250. It's clear they could do a great one.
I guess KTM can be forgiven in light of how long it's taking Honda to do a 250 with far greater resources than a smaller company like KTM.

Moteaux

Professional Mud Tester
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 30, 2001
I don't take any of those type comments seriously, I have heard them all.

It is slower than the YZ 250F that I had previously and I know this, but I honestly can ride this bike faster in roots, rocks and trails. For some reason it just really suits me. I have missed YZ on the MX track though! If at the time I could have afforded to buy the KTM without selling the Yamaha I would have done it. But I just hate going the financing route. I picked up a '99 CR 125 the other day cheap that is now my track bike. Plan is to keep them 1-2 years and see what's available then.

fatty_k

~SPONSOR~
Jul 3, 2001
At the Yamaha shop I work at, the mechanic uncrated a 450F and started it first kick straight outta the crate. Just added gas. The bike didnt even have the handle bars mounted yet! Too bad I didnt hear about this earlier, I would have told him to try it with his hand!

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
I think KTM were working on a proper 250 but the design engineer was killed in a car crash.The sleeved down 250 was just a stop gap and for most its a nice trail/playbike.

weimedog

~SPONSOR~
Damn Yankees
Nov 21, 2000
Actually that using your hand to kick start a bike has been a VOR thing ever since they used a auto-decompression device. I can still do that on a 2001 503...and it has some serious compression! Conversely when the auto decompression is out of adjustment you will bend the damn kick start lever if you hit the wrong stroke! (I've done that too)...so I'd belive the Yamaha guys...but how come it didn't make an impact 3 years ago?

( Now I just use the button on my 2002..so much easier! and I'm getting older)

Last edited:

WoodsRider

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
Damn Yankees
Oct 13, 1999
Maybe so Rich, but your quick quips aren't :moon:

The bike may be slow compare to others, but it's fast enough for me!
If you really want to see slow, invite Rich to come riding in the woods! :eek:

Moteaux

Professional Mud Tester
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 30, 2001
I thought about that, but I was going to stay out of the smack talking. I am not the fastest, but certainly not the slowest spode in the woods either ;)

Besides, then he might invite me to get on of the 'Motards and then I would be embarassed.

WoodsRider

Damn Yankees
Oct 13, 1999
I hope Rich realizes I'm just joking as he could probably wipe my butt on the asphalt too.

All kidding aside, my buddy had a '94 Husky WXE350 that was raced at the '94 Tulsa ISDE and he could start the thing by hand.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Originally posted by WoodsRider

If you really want to see slow, invite Rich to come riding in the woods! :eek:

As long as I ride my IBIS I'm up for single track all day long. :confused:

Only crazy people and Canadians willingly venture into the woods on a motorcycle. :)

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Originally posted by OldassKDX
I'll check into the ward stat. :)

Just follow Fredette :)

techman

Feb 18, 2000
A good Canadian ride consists of multiple flavours of tree bark juice on the ends of your bars and shoulders, sandy whoops sometimes underneath overhanging branches, tight loamy twisties and perhaps a dose of rocky trail (the whole trail is a rock at times 20 yards long) with hidden bottom water holes that might be 6" deep or 3 feet deep. If you get all that in one day you've done very well. Oh yeah, the raging creek crossing - with ice cold water - in the spring. Or still with ice!!

If there's any zip left in you then try to find an mx track to beat it back out of you. ;) In the old days a good ride was based on quality airtime on jumps with non-slamming landings. The body can't handle it now.

WoodsRider

Damn Yankees
Oct 13, 1999
Only crazy people and Canadians willingly venture into the woods on a motorcycle. :)
Well I don't say eh but I do have Strange Brew on video. :confused:

JAFChE

Oct 23, 2000

Count me crazy then! :eek: :thumb:

I've only been on an MX track once in my life, never again! Too many lunatics on over-powered loud motorcycles out there. :)

Man, talk about getting a thread to veer "Off Topic". :confused:

Top Bottom