Detonator

Jul 7, 2003
Hope this is in the right forum. I'm using some of the winter downtime to help a young man get some sponsorship for our 2005 Harescrambles season.

He has exceptional results...this was his first year racing motorcycles, and he took 13 wins out of 15 races. They had to move him into the Expert class (our top rank), and gave him the #6 plate. I've agreed to help him approach potential sponsors, but I'm a little out of my element with the process. I understand that you U.S. folks can access SponsorHouse.com, but I'm wondering if that's a helpful resource for Canadians.

Last year we had sponsorship from KTM Canada, Motorex, a suspension tuner, and a local dealer. This year I'd like to approach Red Bull, but they're getting the screws put to them (again) by the Canadian government (the old Taurine/caffeine issue). Poor Red Bull finally got approval 6 months ago, and they're already yanking it from distribution to do health testing. This would be a logical company for a KTM rider to work with, but it might be more of a 2006 project.

I'd appreciate any guidance or time-saving advice any of you might have. For instance, we have a huge motorcycle trade show coming up in February...would it be wise/acceptable practice to start brokering relationships at such an event? :cool:

xcracer725

Jun 2, 2004
make a resume like me, so far im 3 for 3. it has my name, email, mailing adress, phone. then accomplishments, future goals, and like the series i run. tell them that you need support and that you have always trusted there products. i dont know i hope the helps.

Detonator

Jul 7, 2003
Thank, XC. We've got a résumé, mini CD powerpoint presentation, PDF emailables, and a 4 page promotional brochure with racer profile, 2004 results, goals, pictures, and some of his past affiliations with Bombardier and a Track-Bike company during his Snocross career.

Did you just identify potential sponsors and then go cold-calling, or did you get representation?

xcracer725

Jun 2, 2004
i identifyed my other sponsor and then the next resume i identifyed my 2 sposnors, lol. i would throw in some pictures if you can. when i sent a resume in to klotz i took a picture of me pointing to a klotz sticker on my bike. i also like thru in me at a GNCC race, just whatever gets there attention.

Detonator

Jul 7, 2003
I appreciate your responses, XC. You're getting results, so you're worth listening to.

I'd like to hear from other riders/race managers out there. For instance, is it acceptable that we are requesting two bikes, one for racing, one for practice? We were lucky last year in that we were able to resolve mechanicals before raceday, but the key word is lucky. And if Red Bull can't come through for us, are there other energy drinks active in the MX scene?

Any Canuks have luck with SponsorHouse.com?

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
If your at the level that your requesting a second bike your doing pretty well already. We've contemplated using Sponsorhouse the last few years here but have not yet done so. We've tried to focus on outside the industry sponsors since everyone else is after the industry guys. Mainly cold calling but looking for businesses that other racers would use the product, then come up with a plan on how your going to help him increase his business with your exposure. Another avenue of revenue to consider if the KTM free bikes don't work out is factory contingency. Our top local pro made a killing here last year on Suzuki contingency $$$

Detonator

Jul 7, 2003
Good stuff, Chili. We're not limited to working with KTM, and one of the models we considered was the RMZ 250. Apparently, we'll need two if they blow up like last year's model. I think I may have misled you; we haven't secured two bikes yet, but are wondering if that's a realistic option to request.

I don't want to pry, but could you give me an example of a product outside the industry that you approached? It makes perfect sense to me to bring fresh dollars into the industry by introducing a product or service through a winning rider. You think approaching insurance companies might be a bit too much irony? Or get big Sierra Club stickers for the side panels. Not so funny. Sorry.

Just got feedback from MonsterEngergy.com, the Red Bull competitors. Their 2005 applications ended on Dec. 31, so they're working on 2006. Boo.

How about the idea of working the motorcycle show? Yay or nay...

Kawidude

D'oh!
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 23, 2000
I'm certainly not sponsored by anyone, but from a marketing angle I would say the motorcycle show would be an excellent idea. Network with as many people as you can. Get your materials in front of as many faces as you can and see where it takes you.

And remember...

He who has a thing to sell
and goes and whispers in a well,
Is not so apt to get the dollars
as he who climbs a tree and hollers.

So get on that tree and holler. Keep us posted on your results. I'd be happy to support (spend money with) a company that makes an effort to support local riders!

Detonator

Jul 7, 2003
Sales poetry...brings a tear to my eye.

I shot an arrow from a bow
Where it landed...I do not know
I heard a cry from a far off lass
I think I hit her in the toe

Regardless of the rhyme and meter, your advice is good. However, we Canadians are too passive-aggressive to climb trees and shout. Perhaps we climb halfway up and suggest strongly.

Chili

Apr 9, 2002
Our first and foremost outside the industry sponsor to hit up was a Auto graphics company (fancy decals, pinstriping etc.)With them secured that gave us an avenue to have the trailers decked out and get the sponsors some exposure without having to dig into our pocket or convince the sponsor to cough up even more dough for decals. Oil companies that have local distributors in your area are usually a good one to approach. The big thing will be your expectations, in two seasons we still only have one sponsor that actually coughs up cash the others offers us free product or deeply discounted product. Again I can't stress enough show them how you can help them and don't become disappointed when you get rejected because it's going to happen a lot.

Detonator

Jul 7, 2003
Thanks Chili.

As for handling rejection and being persistent, all I can say is that I'm married, so it'll come naturally. And not one of those new fancy marriages nobody up here voted for but got approved anyway. We have a child and everything. Honest.

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
As far as getting "free" bikes, your best bet is to go through a dealership who can pull support from the manufacturers based on your accomplishments. Or a dealer that is willing to work with you on their own.

For example, DGY is probably Illinois' largest and highest volume motocross dealer, and they supply bikes to both pros and amateurs. For example, the Subway Coca-Cola Honda MX pro race team gets their bikes from Honda but via DGY Motorsports. Also, I know some woman MX racers who have done well at top events, like the Loretta Lynn Amateur MX National, and they will get a deal worked out with the manufacturer/dealer. Like where they will buy one Suzuki from DGY and get a practice bike for free via Suzuki support. I have also seen where the shop will work out special deals for big races, like sending the racer with a used "parts bike" so if they need anything, they have a whole bike at their disposal.

I also know of dealers who let racers "borrow" their bikes for the season. And at the end of the season, depending on the terms of the contract, either the rider will return the bike to the shop and the shop will sell the bike as used and absorb the one year depreciation loss or the rider will need to sell the bike as used and get an $XXXX dollar amount to the shop.

So there are options to explore if you're looking for bike help, but it usually starts with the dealer.

As for getting free product, the best way to approach that is to directly contact the manufacturer. Most industry companies have a rider support manager who can review your resume and presentation and they have a certain budget worked out for each year for free product and/or paying you to use their product. Usually these budgets are allocated out in the September-December time frame so right now might be a little late to get in the 2005 mix. I wouldn't expect much as for getting paid to use the products as some of the pro race teams may only receive $1000-$5000, if anything, from key sponsors. But some smaller industry companies who are trying to grow their business might offer paid incentives. For example, for each dealer that you can get to carry their product, they might pay you $100. Or each rider you refer to get their suspension work, they pay you $50. You would have a better chance of getting actual cash from outside sponsors like some local businesses or internet sites looking to get their name out there.

Another prime spot to approach potential sponsors is any national event you might compete in. For example, here in the states, the Loretta Lynn Amateur MX National is a great place to get support as many of the top manufacturers send a truck and support rep to the week long race for that reason - to get the top riders running their products. Or at Pro MX Nationals, again, the top companies who support the sport: tires, suspension, exhaust, goggles, filters, oils/lubricants, etc. are there and available to talk about rider support, especially if you can put in good results.

Good luck!!

smoke9

BikeGraphix
~SPONSOR~
Aug 23, 2004
I am with BikeGraphix, we design and manufacture mx graphics, and we offer rider support programs for select riders. We do not have a rider in Canada and would be interested in seeing your resume. Give me a call 1.913.677.6681 and ask for Dan. I'd give you the 800 # but I don't thnk they work from Canada.

Also check out industry websites, alot of them have rider support applications online.

Good Luck :cool:

Last edited:

Detonator

Jul 7, 2003
Wow! You folks are amazing...

Smoke9, you have mail.

Nikki, you're a gem among common pebbles. Your third paragraph, about borrowing bikes and footing the depreciation, is our most viable alternative. Last year's deal was dealer cost minus 20 percent to purchase the bike, but then the dealer took the KTM contingency money (around $2,000). That money was supposed to be used for maintenance and wear items, but bucko stole our cash. That's what happens what you lack sophistication about the system.

This year we're looking for a little more integrity, and also taking a longer term focus; it's a lot more cost-effective for a sponsor to stick with a rider for 2 to 3 years, simply because it takes time to condition the consumer (fans, other racers) in word-of-mouth advertising, which this essentially is. Unless a rider carries a backpack that spills out brochures at every turn, the main advertising is the verbal promotion by the race team, the bike itself and the quick mention at the podium. Funny thing is, it works. Two years ago there had to be 7 or 8 suspension tuners' stickers on racers' forks. Then the #1 plate guy started working more intelligently to promote his tuner, and now 90% of the forks are adorned with that tuner's sticker...almost none of them sponsored. It took a full season to promote, and another season to reap the harvest. That's smart business. Imagine if the tuner only sponsored him for one year, and then went looking for another rider? When you play musical chairs with a long sales cycle, it's a good way to listen to music while you waste money.

I sure appreciate you folks, and welcome any other ideas that people want to share. I'm pretty excited to be representing a fast, committed rider who's got a winner's heart. That's a lot harder to find than free sprockets.

Will

Detonator

Jul 7, 2003
I just wanted to follow up and thank Chili, Nikki, Xracer, Smoke9 and Kawidude...

Thanks to your tips and encouragement, we've secured a ride with KTM Canada (250 EXC 2 smoke), freebies (parts, tools) from a national catalog company, Smoke9's awesome graphics from Bikegraphix.com, a parts and oil budget, full line of clothing (minus helmet and boots) from ShotMX.com, and are in talks with a suspension tuner and Rekluse (to promote their super cool auto clutch). We're still on the hunt for a food or beverage sponsor to round out our package, but I'm confident some smart cookie will want to get on board with us.

The hard part, strategically, is finding sponsors that complement each other and work well as a package. We also found we wanted at least one sponsor with a WOW product to get attention so that your other supporters are getting noticed. I'm really hoping that Rekluse comes through, since no one is running an autoclutch in our contigency, and it would get big attention...that and Dan's graphics gracing the bike will reel in some spectators.

Thanks again,

Will

Chili

Apr 9, 2002
Stage 1 completed, Congrats! :cool: Now make sure you guys live up to all commitments on your end to hopefully develop these relationships long term. We tried to do a weekly or bi-weekly report via e-mail to the contact person at all our sponsors to keep them updated on our progress and the exposure we were getting their products.

Detonator

Jul 7, 2003
Solid advice, Chili. We've already volunteered to make appearances at a couple of our sponsor's booths at the upcoming Montreal Salon de la Moto (bike show), and we'll get a head start on brochures and marketing materials.

Our racing season doesn't start until May, but I felt it important to get our alliances settled as soon as possible. Now I can work with their marketing departments to get their input on ideas for exposure.

Kawidude

D'oh!
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 23, 2000
That's great news Detonator! Sounds like you'll be ready for DeCoster's job before long. Best of luck to your rider in the upcoming season!

Top Bottom