jackflack44

May 3, 2008
1) your physical size (both height and weight are important) 5'6 125 lbs.
2) How physical / aggressive are you ? 4/5
3) what do you plan to ride- MX/SX tracks, woods, fields with friends or ????? streets
4) Do you have any riding experience? yes, my kx and then a chinese bike
5) Do you think you will race ? not on a street bike
6) Are you mechanically inclined and will you be doing your own bike work? yes
7) Do YOU have a preferance to a brand/ motor choice (2 or 4 stroke)? either
8) Do you have a dealer close by your home that you might use and what brand(s) does he carry? all dealers
9) How much ($) do you plan to spend on a bike? 3500? preferably much less.
10) Do you live in California? no
11) Your age? 14
12) anything else that you think would help form an opinion\
in Texas it is legal to ride a street bike when youre 15 but the bike MUST be under 250cc.

Thanks in Advance
-- Dylan

MXGirl230

Stupid tires and trees
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Dec 19, 2002
That's easy, 250 Ninja.

I had a '96 and didn't mind it for around town, just did not like it on the highway. Now that they have updated them to look more modern I wouldn't mind having one again. They are reasonably priced and look really sweet now.

helio lucas

~SPONSOR~
Jun 20, 2007
two options: aprilia rs 250 or a supermoto crf 250 with a 500 engine (i know a place for those) :nod: :blah:

Apr 30, 2007
MXGirl230 said:
That's easy, 250 Ninja.

:cool: +1

The 08 and newer Kawasaki Ninja 250s really are pretty sweet looking, and are right in your price range for a used one!

I have a 2005. In town it is just plain fun, and the best way to go for a beginning street rider.

REMEMBER GEAR!!!!, spend 3000 on the bike and at LEAST 500 on street GEAR. You can crash your KX in a t-shirt and jeans and get up with a few tiny scrapes and bruises. On the street, you have to think of pavement as a cheese grater. Even a tip over at 15 miles per hour has left people with missing fingers, major physical deformations (chunks of your face missing, or massive scarring...ew), and there are even an incredible number of deaths.

AT MINIMUM:

A FULL FACE STREET HELMET (I can't believe how many idiots go blazing around with that pathetic little beanie helmet, thinking that they are being super safe).

Jacket with armor (any solid streetbike jacket will have the chicks all over you anyways). They come vented and designed for hot summer riding. Heck, they are good for picking up chicks too hehe.

Over the ankle boots (tennis shoes disentigrate in less than 2 seconds, that is if they even stay on.)

Gloves (leather/kevlar).

digifox

May 25, 2006
Agreed!
Ex250 FTW!
I have on and it just the right size for my little arse
OR a Buell Blast :ride:

Full Faced ONLY!
As for a Helmet HJC,Icon & Scorpion offer the best Bang for your Buck, if you have the money go Shoei.
Stay AWAY from Vega,Zox and and the Ever common Pudding bowl(only covers the top of your head)

The Jacket Either Materials are good(leather or the Syn stuff)
Again Icon, Fieldsheer And Joe Rocket make decent Gear
I personally Prefer Leather

As for boot i would suggest you stay away from the Cheaper brands such as M2R. and get a decent pair like Icon, Joe rocket, River Road or HD boots.

Deadohiosky39

Jul 12, 2008
Honda has a 250 Rebel cruiser style bike if you like that more than the race bike look of a ninja. I dont know much about it but i'm thinking it would probably also be in your price range.

I'll agree with everyone else and say at least a helmet and jacket is required. Nothing like having a nurse rub your arm trying to get bits and piece of the road out of it. Its not fun and i know from experience.

bmcd308

Feb 9, 2007
Used Ninja 250 plus gear. Even though you have some riding experience, you will wind up dropping a street bike as you encounter new situations that distract you. Having a cheap used bike at first makes those drops less heartbreaking. If you buy a $2000 Ninja 250 and ride it for a year, you will have an $1800 Ninja 250 at the end even if you drop it a few times.

Get good gloves, a full face helmet, and at least a jacket. I've been down in the street once, and it is no fun.

2stroker144

Jan 14, 2009
jackflack...when you are over 15...gsxr 750, that is a SEXY MACHINE.

Last edited:
Top Bottom