SpDyKen

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 27, 2005
'07 450EXC (& 525), '08 & '09 450EXC-R (& 530)

'08 & '09's have a newer motor, with separate trans. & gearbox oil compartments. All have some issues when 100% stock; a few minor mods. take care of them.

I've ridden (& raced) a friends '07 525. Very nice bike; a quite competent dirt bike. I recently rode a Husky TE450; also a great dirt bike. I think I liked the Husky a bit better, but both great bikes.

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
I have a KTM dealer nearby. I've been kicking around the idea of a D/S 450.

Anybody have one?

dkb1

Apr 16, 2007
I have 08 450excr and love it. Have your dealer de-smog it and re-jet. If you want to do it yourself check out ktm talk for the low down. Some people are having problems with the seals between the gear oil and motor oil. they also come geared too high from the factory. I'm running a 14/51 combo and it will still top out at 100mph.I only weigh about 165lbs. and the stock suspension works well for offroad and old guy mx riding I just set the spring pre-load and clickers to the suggested #s in the manual. It is a dirtbike with full knobbies so in stock trim it does best in the dirt. But the looks you get at the carry-out/gas station are priceless.It has aprox. 70 hrs and 2000 miles with no problems. Hope this helps

SpDyKen

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 27, 2005
Like I said, the 525 was definitely raceable, with some minor mods. I'm sure the 450 would be a great bike, too.

In fact, a friend of mine is looking for one, if anyone knows of one for sale in the southeast. If I had one, (and I'd like to,) I'd get a spare set of wheels to have either some dual-sport tires (21"/18") or some 17" street tires.

Go for it!

motometal

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 3, 2001
lots of fun on dirt roads/back roads/level B service roads

the Husky was mentioned above...don't overlook these. Cheaper than the KTM by a fair amount, at least last year when I checked into it they were. The TE450 is the more "race" oriented bike and the 610 is a little more street oriented but still off road-able.

SpDyKen

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 27, 2005
motometal said:
lots of fun on dirt roads/back roads/level B service roads

the Husky was mentioned above...don't overlook these. Cheaper than the KTM by a fair amount, at least last year when I checked into it they were. The TE450 is the more "race" oriented bike and the 610 is a little more street oriented but still off road-able.
The Husky TE's have closer gearbox ratios than the KTM EXC-R's.

The TE510 is a handful (and a bit of an animal,) in the tight woods. I cannot even imagine what the TE610 would be like.

I'd like to own a TE450, myself. One of the best 4-T's I've ever ridden, and street legal to boot!

motometal

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 3, 2001
You have mentioned the 450 and 510's achillies heal ...the gearbox. With sprockets, you can make it work for either/or but no way both if the woods includes tight stuff. If more open, no problem. The 610 has a buttery smooth wide ratio gearbox.

The 450 vs. 510 are the same bike other than the bore diameter. I believe if anything the 450 has more of an abrupt/zappy powerband where the 510 is smoother with more low end. The difference in displacement may even give the handling a bit of a different feel but otherwise I'm pretty sure they are the same weight, suspension etc.

Top Bottom