FASTMOFOSS

Jul 11, 2007
Hi All!
This is my first post, and yes, of course I searched for a while and came into some good insight, but had other questions.
1) I want to legal my CR5 by getting an old legal XR 600L/XR 650L and swapping a few things, (I'm not going to get into it, but it will be clean titled,and legal with the baja kit etc here in NY).
I want to QUIET this beast down, (I've owned it 6 years, and it has an aftermkt exhaust. How to quiet it down, a lot. I don't mind if I lose a bit of power, it's already insane, :ohmy:
2) What gearing is suggested? I want to keep the stock wheels for now, and add Michelin Sirac Honda XR650L tires for on/off road adventures, or similar intermediates.
I prolly have a bunch more questions, but I don't want to crowd anyone, :whoa: .
This site rocks!
Thanks,
Jordan

FASTMOFOSS

Jul 11, 2007
flyingfuzzball said:
you will need different tires cuz stock are not DOT approved

and im not sure if you can make the 2T street legal with all the emission stuff

ok, thanks, I wrote that I already had others in mind, but thanks for the response... 60+ views and no one with insight? Suggestions for an exhaust thats not so loud then?
Thanks...

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
I would think that the stock exhaust would be the way to go. Typically, the stock pipe is thicker metal helping to keep it a bit quieter. Get a Q silencer and possibly a flywheel weight to help steady your RPM's at cruise speeds. No clue as to gearing.
One thing for sure, you'll drop some sport bike riders jaw, stop light to stop light! :)

GoT_GreeN

Jun 17, 2007
No dought about that for sure from light to light :whoa:
I know that first wants to grab and go on racers, that would be the first thing I'd change if possible making for smoother starts but I don't know if you can get different ratio's in single gears. As far as the over all gearing, making it higher would only make first worse but would give you what your looking for on the highway. That thing would look awsome with a super moto package on it :)

FASTMOFOSS

Jul 11, 2007
hehehe

Yeah, a SM pkg would be sweet, and cost some lootz too.
I'm actually wanting to keep it for Enduro use, (on/off road) so SM isn't really what I'm into, although lowering the suspension a bit, and tweaking it ala Race Tech is a good move, I'm sure. Gearing also, I'm guessing dropping a few teeth in the rear should have instant enough effects. I don't have the stocker exhaust, but will consider the other mentioned to quiet this beast down. Thanks for all the continued advice, you people rock! :p

76GMC1500

Uhhh...
Oct 19, 2006
The stock pipe with the FMF Q or one of those old Answer mufflers (they have a baffle and a turbine core which gets my 87 CR250 down to 96 decibels on worn out packing) would be the best bet.

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
AJ got a hold of a wide ratio transmission for the DRN Build off bike. AJ could definitely would have some ideas for you.
Click here

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
76GMC1500 said:
The stock pipe with the FMF Q or one of those old Answer mufflers (they have a baffle and a turbine core which gets my 87 CR250 down to 96 decibels on worn out packing) would be the best bet.

BIG difference between a CR250 and a CR500. Much of the noise from a CR500 comes from the top end the pipe and the airbox. (Mechanical noise not exhaust noise.) You could install rubber buffers in the fins to reduce the top end noise and this noise is resonated in the pipe. A pipe made from thicker material would help or you could wrap the pipe with a heat wrap to deaden the sound. Also a baffle in the airbox or a piece of foam on top of the airbox opening will help reduce the induction noise.

FASTMOFOSS

Jul 11, 2007
Ol'89r said:
BIG difference between a CR250 and a CR500. Much of the noise from a CR500 comes from the top end the pipe and the airbox. (Mechanical noise not exhaust noise.) You could install rubber buffers in the fins to reduce the top end noise and this noise is resonated in the pipe. A pipe made from thicker material would help or you could wrap the pipe with a heat wrap to deaden the sound. Also a baffle in the airbox or a piece of foam on top of the airbox opening will help reduce the induction noise.

Whoa! Great advice, Thanks!

Top Bottom