cujet

Aug 13, 2000
I am in the market for a street legal dirt bike. While I understand that the Big 4 make some form of street legal bike, none are dirt worthy IMHO.

Husky was supposed to make street legal bikes, and what about KTM? Are there any other makes or models that are street legal, or maybe even a just come with a MSO that does not state "for off road use only" on it.

Chris

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago

Attachments

• wall_paris05_a_1024.jpg
    wall_paris05_a_1024.jpg
    142.8 KB · Views: 1,619

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
Chris:

Based upon my experience and that of some friends here in Texas and Louisiana, almost any motorcycle can be made street legal by the dealer. They can title it as a DS bike instead of an "off road only" bike. I would negotiate based upon them getting it street legal, if you are going new.

As far as bikes go, IMHO there is no bike that stands up to the Honda XR650R. I have personally ridden my XR over 4,000 miles since I got it a bit over a year ago. I have a friend that swears he has put 30,000 miles on his. It is everything that I could have ever wanted. Honda has dropped the XR-R from their lineup in OZ, and will likely do so in America eventually, but until they do (or they redesign everything except the mill) the XR-R is top dog in my book.

That being said, I can't imagine riding it on single track, but you could likely dig a moat from the Atlantic to the Gulf of Mexico with the right tire.

Husky has been getting good press, but I know very little about them. Enduro_Nut ran one for a while.

I have a KTM 400 and love the bike. That being said, the RFS bikes are more labor intensive than my XR-R. They are much better suited for tight conditions.

I know a bunch of guys that swear by the Kawasaki 400 and four or five that have made the Yamaha WR450 into a DS bike. In Texas that is easy, but I don't know about the laws in Florida. There is a bunch here that rides the KLR 650, but it is not a "dirt bike" in my book.

One way people seem to be getting around the law is buying a bike that had already been converted in another state ...

Hope that helps!

cujet

Aug 13, 2000
Thanks Rich for that fantastic bunch of pics. I wish I could purchase one right now. I might even convert to a 4 stroke lover! The 60 Hour overhaul requirement is a bit short though. I generally go about 250 hours TBO on my Husky.

Chris

ZeCatfish

Mar 25, 2005
I'm looking at an older ATK 605 for DS work, its a true dirt bike with street manners. 600cc 4 valve rotax engine that is stone cold reliable. Paioli forks, Ohlins shock. Works much better than the WP stuff on the older versions. Just change the oil regularly, and a timing belt once a year its bulletproof. Theres some of the 600 Rotax engine making 70+ HP when setup right. They used these engines for years on flat trackers.
If I get a differant brand it would be a KLX 300 or DRZ400. I won't even look at a Honda just a personal preference there. Too many friends been burnt by the "superior" technology on the CRF's.

cnielse5

~SPONSOR~
Feb 22, 2005
Rich Rohrich said:
Take a look at the Aprilia RXV 5.5 (550 Vtwin) , They are building Enduro and Supermoto versions of the bike.
Technically they are not road legal. they have an article about the aprilla's in the latest dirt rider.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom