crazy4life

Aug 30, 2007
I want a street legal dirt bike. I dont want a dual sport sense they seem to not be particularly good for on and off road.

Was looking at KTM and saw that some of there bikes have head lights. Whats my best bet for a street legal dirtbike? All i want is a full fledged dirtbike thats legal on the streets. Something i can jump and beat up on trails.

Petey

~SPONSOR~
Dec 2, 2007
Each state has different requirements for a street legal bike, so it kind of depends on what your state laws are. Enduro's are the exact type of bike you are talking about, but like you said before they are not specialized for dirt nor street. Only other option is to throw some lights and blinkers on a bike of your choice, but youd simply be turning it into a motorcycle that would be ment for mainly the road. Id say if your really adament about a dirt and street bike, then go with an enduro like a Honda XR650L.

crazy4life

Aug 30, 2007
What about the aprilia rxv and the EXC 450 and 530! Looks like exactly what i want. What one has the best offroad capabilities? How would these bikes perform on jumps compared to a cr?

I'm guessing there both not street legal off the SRF. I do live in florida and if i remember correctly iv seen a couple cr's with a front and rear light and a tag but no blinkers.

Last edited:

trist007

Oct 3, 2007
Dood, get a KTM 530 or 450 EXC-R. I just bought a 530 and it's awesome. It only weighs about 3 lbs more than the 450 so u're better off. Dry weight is about 253 lbs. It does well in the dirt too. This bike can do anything and everything. The only drawback is that the price is a bit steep. $8647 base price for a 2008.

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
crazy4life said:
I want a street legal dirt bike. I dont want a dual sport sense they seem to not be particularly good for on and off road.

A dual sport is a street legal dirt bike.....

Like other said the exact requirements will depend on the state you live in. In California, for example, the EPA requirements rule out a great many bikes.

For some states the requirements are basically to have lights (head, tail and turn) and mirrors. Some states further require that the bike have a battery to keep the lights on for a minimum period of time when the engine is off. There are aftermarket kits that will add the required lights. I don't think that two stroke would be street legal in any state, however.

To be fully street legal you need to have street legal tires. If your street riding is very short you could probably get away with off road tires but any significant distance on pavement would really tear up a good set of knobbies. This is usually the limiting factor on being able to ride the street and the dirt as a street legal tire really sucks in the dirt.

KTM has some really nice models that are street legal from the dealer. I have seen people who have made a Yamaha WR450 street legal (even in California). The WR450 is a pretty decent off road bike, same basic suspension and engine as the YZ-450F but with some emmision control stuff on the carburetor.

If you want it street legal so you can ride a few blocks to get from one trail to another then there are lots of options. If you are expecting to ride a 100 miles to your favorite riding area and then go off road you are not going to be happy with the results.

Rod

DougRoost

~SPONSOR~
May 3, 2001
Those big KTM thumpers would be my first choice, too. Older KTM LC4s, particulary the 625sxc can be a good choice.

The Husky TE-610 is getting to be a popular choice in this category, too. The '08's are even fuel injected. Would be my first choice if any longer rides were planned (i.e.- adventure touring).

After that things go downhill in dirt capability and up in weight. Lots of people like to plate the big Honda XR650R, too, but that's not always possible depending on state. The DRZ is really popular but IMO its lack of a 6th gear, lesser suspension, and added weight makes a used KTM 400 E/XC a better choice.

Steve St.Laurent

Mi. Trail Riders
Feb 6, 2006
rmc_olderthandirt said:
I don't think that two stroke would be street legal in any state, however.

It really depends on the state. In Michigan all we need is a operating headight (high and low beam), taillight, brake light (has to work with one of the brakes), license plate light, horn, mirror, and dot approved tires (which may be overlooked in the inspection). I made my CR250 (2 stroke) fully street legal here in Michigan. Here's a post I made on it: http://www.dirtrider.net/forums3/showthread.php?t=143608 . I don't have a light coil or anything - just power the lights and horn with a 10 cell AA rechargeable battery pack. I certainly wouldn't want to use it as a regular street bike but it works for riding between camp and trail, between trails, and during road sections during enduros.

Top Bottom