Street legal enduro kit for KDX200

Jackpiner57

~SPONSOR~
Aug 11, 2002
You guys probably already know about it but I just found a street legal kit for my KDX from Baja Design. Only $395.00

My dealer told me that they are $1300.00! But maybe that was an installed price. :yeehaw: :thumb:

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
I've installed 3 of them and it only takes about 6 to 8 hours if you're a shade tree mechanic who has never done one before. I would think a pro could do it in 4 or 5 hours. Maybe the price includes registration fees or some other parts and service?

Jackpiner57

~SPONSOR~
Aug 11, 2002
I don't think so dirt bike dave, I think they want to make a lot of money quickly.

I am going to get the Baja Designs kit. :aj:

dave1

Sep 16, 2002
Originally posted by dirt bike dave
I've installed 3 of them and it only takes about 6 to 8 hours if you're a shade tree mechanic who has never done one before. I would think a pro could do it in 4 or 5 hours. Maybe the price includes registration fees or some other parts and service?

I'm thinking about doing this to my KDX. I was considering selling it and buying an XR. Does the KDX make a good street bike? I would think that the 4 stroke would be a better choice.
Any thoughts from those who ride one.
Thanks
Dave

Jackpiner57

~SPONSOR~
Aug 11, 2002
Dave, the KDX makes a pretty lousy street bike. These kits are for enduro or dual sport or turkey runs.

The KDX is a good trail bike though!
I have a 2002 KDX 200 and it handles the tough stuff nicely.

Jim Crenca

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 18, 2001
In addition to a stator rewinding, I'm assuming that you need to re-gear the bike for anything over 40 mph riding so as not to buzz the motor to death?

JSTUCKI

Jul 8, 2002
Unless your planning on traveling very far (>10 miles radius) from your house to go trail riding stick with the KDX. I have a 2002 220 dual sported and am quite happy with it for getting to/from the trails. I only ride it to get to/from the trails, not work, etc. Whatever you do stay away from XR's, I had a 400 and all it was good for was an extreme workout trying to start it! Check out the 400 Suzuki's.

dave1

Sep 16, 2002
Actually, I was planning on using it to get to work occasionally plus a bit of tooling around town.
As I looked around the Baja Designs web site, they don't even make a kit for my '94.
It looks like I may have to buy an XR. I won't get a 400. I'll probably buy a 200 or 250.
Anybody want a '94 KDX with very little miles?
It's been ridden once a year for the last 3 years, and not much before that.

sas982

Nov 14, 2001
You should contact Baja Designs before you decide to sell your KDX. I have a 94 kit and asked them if it would fit on a 2001 KDX and they said yes. So maybe the newer one would fit on your 94.

helibuf

Sep 29, 2002
I have been wanting to dual sport my 92kdx 200 to travel between trails and such. it would come in handy in towns like mammoth ca and other small towns where you jump from trail to trail.

my biggest concern with doing it, is that my kdx smokes a bit more then I would like. I think traveling to and from work (7 miles) could be a bit annoying for other commuters.

another worry would be spending all that $ and finding having a huge problem getting it licensed in ca.

any way I emailed Baja about my 92 and this was there reply.

First, you need to ship us your stator so we can rewind the lighting
coil.
The kit # is 12-100

dw

Jackpiner57

~SPONSOR~
Aug 11, 2002
Motul800 2T is an oil that does not produce much smoke. It is expensive though. Does anyone know of another less expensive oil with a high flash point?

Top Bottom