02stampede

Jan 5, 2009
I'm sure it's been asked but I searched and couldn't find it. Does anyone know the laws or how you go about making a bike street legal in texas. I was thinking of getting an xr 400, dr 400, wr, etc. for my 5 mile commute to work. I like motorcycles but everytime I see a dual sport I think about how cool it would be to ride a dirt bike on the street. I see a lot of the 650's ready to go but are usually beyond my price range or too old and heavy for me. I want a nimble trail bike that runs on the street. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Best advice is to check with a local shop that does inspections since they will be the ultimate judge if you get a sticker or not. The XR250 was really popular down in Houston with several people I know, granted they were surface street riders. I believe most of them installed a brake light switch, DOT tires (at least for inspection), a cheap mirror and little squeeze ball horn and maybe a small battery to power the headlight if the engine was off. You could always get a Baja Designs kit and be sone with it but they are a bit more expensive.

Top Bottom