dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
Teton,
It is pretty confusing. The rules have been inconstantly applied and ever changing. Here is an overview of the green/red program written by Bill Dart of D-36

http://www.ama-d36.org/Lao/red_sticker_explanation.html

Vehicles manufactured after 1-1-97 should have red sticker VINs unless they meet the green sticker standards. Some '97 model year bikes may have been manufactured in late '96.

Some newer bikes still qualify for green stickers, such as XR400 and KLX300. No two strokes, though. There is a list of 'green sticker' bikes in the article or in other related articles on the D-36 page.

The program took a long time to get going - the actual red stickers were rarely issued before mid to late '99.

If your bike should have a red sticker (3 or C as 8th digit of VIN) but you have been given a green, there is a good chance you will get a red sticker when your current green expires.

Some 'red sticker' bikes are already on their second or third green sticker. They are just as likely to get a red when their current sticker expires, IMO.

Shawn1

Jul 4, 2001
I got my 96 KDX licensed back in '97 and kept plates on it for 2 years mainly to ride to and from the trails. I have to tell you, riding my kdx around town sure raised alot of eyebrows, and being followed by the boys in blue was common. I just never felt very comfortable riding it on the street or highway. I haven't licensed it since 99 and don't plan to anymore. If I was going to buy a dual sport type bike I'd get a 4-stroke. Did I just say 4-stroke, I've never owned one in 25 years of riding.

Shawn

CR125_tom

Apr 20, 2001
Thanks Dirt Bike Dave for the clarification. This opens a new world for me. I'm an avid street biker, and to have a dual sport 2 stroke would be just the thing for my small stable of bikes.

Although I've never rode a 2-stroke on the street, I imagine I'll get my share of looks as I putt down the street burning premix. I'm starting to have visions of street legalizing my 87 CR250, but since this is a KDX forum, I'll admit that it's probably more feasible with a 96 or older CA green sticker KDX.

KdxChode

Jun 18, 2001
Has anyone tried to do this in oregon? I was reading their motorcycle manual and here is what it says.

All motorcycles must have:

ï An exhaust system in good working order and in constant operation (or,
in the case of mopeds, when the engine is running), which prevents the
vehicle from discharging any visible emissions and keeps exhaust noise
levels at or below standards set by the Department of Environmental
Quality.

I know that my KDX has visible emissions.

KID KDX

May 15, 2001
Dirt Bike Dave said something in the begining of this forum that seemed odd. Something like, "You dont have to actually bring the bike to the DMV, but you bring it to a state licensed lighting shop, and THEY inspect it?"

Can anyone give more details on this?

Thank You

fred2

Sponsoring Member
May 10, 2001
I finally got my bike licensed and Dave is right about not having to bring in the bike. In my case, the shop that sold me the dual-sport kit signed off a paper saying the bike had all of the required equipment. I forget what that paper is called but it was written by the DMV.

I'll have to say that the lady at the DMV had some trouble doing the paperwork but I now have a street legal KDX. Although I don't have a class M1 license yet. They didn't need to see the bike and they didn't ask if I had insurance. Although it is required!

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
The California DMV form is called a Statement of Facts, and it is to be signed by a state certified lighting inspection station (many repair shops have this).

One advantage of getting a kit from a place like Baja Designs is they will include the forms.

If you get a blank statement of fact in CA, you should add the following:

"The vehicle desribed above has an operating headlight with high and low beams, high beam indicator, taillight, stoplight, license plate light, turn signals, rear reflex reflector, front and rear brakes and horn.

The vehicle complies with the requirements for a street motorcycle as described in California Highway Patrol publication 888"

fred2

Sponsoring Member
May 10, 2001
Baja Designs is a nice robust kit. Although I got mine through a shop here in San Diego for about half of the cost. Granted it's not as robust as the Baja Designs but just depends on what you want. This guy set it up so that you can remove most of it through one hook-up. My goal was to just be legal.

Top Bottom