erac

Apr 9, 2001
I posted here a few months ago because I was interested in buying a KLX and making it street legal. Well I bought a KLX and have been riding it for about a month now and decided to go to the local BMV and see what it would take to get a plate for it. So I went in and handed them my title and walked out with a license plate for my off road KLX..........I love OHIO.

Now what I really need to know is what do I need to buy to add a brake light to my bike. I checked out the BAJA DESIGNS web site and saw a hydraulic brake switch, is that all I need ?

gulliver

May 4, 2001
I was looking at the same bike to convert in NY. No go - NY no longer lets us, although the Harley crowd can customize their bikes with seats 18" off the ground and handlebars into the ozone.

Get the whole Baja kit for that bike, they're around $350. You need a battery so the light can stay on if the engine stalls, low/high beem light, horn, blinkers, brake lights, and plate holder with light.

Also, your tires need to say "DOT" on them -vs- "not for highway use". Take it easy if you stay with the aggressive nobbies; slow turns, avoid driving in the rain, and keep it under 55.

erac

Apr 9, 2001
Thanks, but my bike is already street legal. They issued me a plate and street registration(no blinkers,horn, etc...). I just want to add a brake light for safety. Ohio does not require blikers just hand signals.

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
Jeff Fredette sells an inexpensive brake light kit for the KDX for like $20 - should work on the KLX, too. Never used one, but my understanding is that it adds resistance so your stock tail light is dimmer when you are not on the brake, and it gets as bright as it normally is now when you hit the brake. This is not the same as a true DOT approved brake light set up, but it might be legal in your state.

The Baja replacement brake light switch alone is proabably not enough - you would need to add some minimal wiring and get a dual filament bulb or two bulb tail light assembly to your KLX. UFO has a DOT approved tail light that costs about $15.

If you decide to get a brake light switch, the ones that mount to the rear master cylinder are better protected than the ones that are activated by a spring to the rear brake pedal. Also the spring makes the rear brake feel funny IMO.

klx352

Aug 12, 2000
life is good

KLX,S make great street bikes . There soft & low. If you plan on running
mosty street try 15-48 gears. Runs 55 with ease

smb_racing

Master of None
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 31, 2000
If quality two stroke oil wasn't so expensive I would have to consider breaking out my KDX for street riding. I've got a clear title (not offroad only) and the previous owner had a plate on it. :confused:

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
I don't think he has his own web page, but you can get lots of his tech and product information including a pic of the brake light switch from the just kdx page. Many of the KDX products such as the chain guide and one peice bar clamp should work on the KLX.

http://justkdx.dirtrider.net/

Last edited:

dirtinoh

May 26, 2001
street legal

Erac, In Ohio you must have a horn that is audible from 200', headlight, taillight , brake light, white license plate light, mirrors and turn signals. The only exception for signals is for very old bikes. You might have gotten your plate but you are not legal without these items. These are listed in the white Ohio motor veh. laws book.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom