yzrook267

Oct 5, 2003
Hey, I have a 2001 YZ 125 and was wondering what I would have to do to make it street-legal in Massachusetts. I'm about to turn 16 so I have no way to get my bike from my house to the trail. But I just found out that you can get your motorcycle permit at 16 :p so I would like to make my bike ok for the street. I have been looking for kits but I cant seem to find any under $500. What is actually mandatory to make it street legal and how would I go about doing that. If I could do this how much would it cost me.

pyrofreak

Apr 9, 2003
In New York you have to have a mirror, headlight, taillight, reflector, aftermarket muffler, suffiecent brakes, and some other various items. I dont think that trun signals are required if you known the hand signs. Go to www.google.com, and type in somehting like "Massechusit motorcylce regualtion laws" and then hit the "im feeing lucky" button instead of the "setch" button. I did this to find info about NYS laws and a page of exactly what i was looking for came up.

woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
There are a couple of ways to approach your situation. First thing is you gotta find out is what really is required. I would go to a DMV and ask them. Here in Michigan we have what is called a green slip that specifies exaclty what is required - this "slip" cuts the crap as far as dealing with some power hungrey Cop who just wants to give you a hard time! If you are lucky your home state will have something simulaur..
That being said, there are a couple of ways to approach your situation. You can install a full fledged lighting system with power being supplied thru by the flywheel - cost are higher but you end up with ACTUAL lights and can ride at night (AWESOME on a MX bike!!). THe other way is the much cheaper way - put the required lights and power it with a small battery. THis will get you thru inspection but has VERY limited functional usage!!
Personally, with as much CHEAP stuff that there is on E-Bay I wouldn't even fiddle with the non-functional!!
I LOVE MY STREET LEGAL KX500!!!
Woodsy

Top Bottom