street rider going dirt. new bike advice

Markopolian

Apr 6, 2006
street rider going dirt. bike advice

I currently own a 2005 Suzuki GSXR 1000. It is a killer bike and im heartbroken having to sell it. But im buying a house so im selling it for extra money and settling with a dirt bike for now hoping it will satisfy my needs haha. I am already firm that I want a mx/race bike. I want to jump it and use it as a trail bike. As for 2 stroke or 4 stroke im stuck. Im leaning more to a 2 stroke as ive heard they have alot more kick to them. Ive been seriously looking at either a honda cr 250r or yz 250. Both are 2003. Im looking for the better overall bike. I like them both and am not brand loyal. I have about $4000 give or take a little to spend.

On a side note ive also heard alot of good things about the honda crf450r. From what i heard the crf450r is in the same class as the 250r 2 stroke. Why is this and besides reliability and smoother power delivery, why are most guys going to the 4 stroke? Would I be smarter to pay a little more and get a 450 4 stroke? Or stick with the yamaha or honda 2 stroke?
Thanks in advance guys :)

Mark

Last edited:

Gibby

Dec 8, 2004
Hmm first of all it does suck to get rid of a street bike, I had an R1 and had to sell it to buy my house or to help anyhow. Anyways nice choice of bikes. If you want a bike you can jump and trail ride I would go with a 2 stroke you definately don't want a 450 to lug around in the woods. Either 2 stroke your looking at would make good bikes( I think you just buy a different color they are all really good and about equal). As far as reliability the 4 strokes might last alittle longer between rebuilds but is going to be a lot more costly. The smoother power and tracability is what has everyone switching. They are easier to ride but takes a different type of rider. Anyhow I would go with the 2 stroke of anybrand. Hope any of this helps.

Markopolian

Apr 6, 2006
Thanks for the info man! I was leaning more towards a 2 stroke anyhow so it makes me happy to hear that advice. I think im going to go with a yz.... I like blue and I think they look killer :) Now im just going to have to get used to the dirt instead of the pavement!

Top Bottom