strip paint from stock pipe

looks great , i would return that digi camera for a refund though , picture quality is not very good .

hey bro, i took those with my webcam! ill take a pic with my digi now, i scotchbrited it so it looks less chromey and more works like

pic in 5 mins

woa, joka your bike looks trick, even if it is a suzuki lol, nice bike tho, and your pipe looks great to. :flame: :thumb:

elf

Like your tires. When are they going to make orange ones for my ktm? :laugh:

I stripped my 99YZ250 stock pipe by sanding as well. Then to keep the finish from rusting I used Dupli-Color engine enamel.( Dupli-ColorĀ® Engine Enamel with Ceramic
Resists temperatures up to 500 degrees F ) They sell it in a clear color and I rode it all last year like that. The clear Dupli-Color engine enamel stuff works great. It adhered well and withstood abrasion, fuel etc. and most of the heat.
That being said during these winter months as I was stripping the bike down for maintanance I noticed right at the head of the pipe some had burned off, but only about 3 inches out from the cylinder. So for this year I masked that area and just used some cheap BBQ high temp paint. Dupli-Color also sells a high heat enamel (Dupli-ColorĀ® High Heat Paint with Ceramic Resists temperatures up to 1200 degrees F, intermittently) as well, just that it does not come in clear. That would last better than the BBQ paint for the head section but I was to cheap to buy it since I already had the BBQ paint.

i hate to even ask what you paid for those tires up here in canada , they look strange but i think they will become popular . oh and kudo's for storing your bike in the living room , closest i could get mine was the laundry room .

Ya man where did you get those tires they are trick :aj: Does anyone know when they come in blue? :think:

hey joka, your pipe looked so sweet, i took a run at mine last night while listening to the supercross on sxgp.com

i think if i had to do it again, i would sandblast. i used paint stripper and elbow grease. let's just say by the main event at mid-night, i'm not sure if the fumes got to me or the alcohol i was pounding back...but all was good. By 1:30am I had most of the paint off and this morning it looks good. a few minor areas to clean-up, gotta get a small wire brush or something to do along the seams.

i too bought that dupli-coat high heat clear. i'm gonna give her a spray with that, hopefully it'll help keep the rust away. Are you planning on covering it with a clear coat?

later, thanks again for the pics, it took away my uncertainty!!!

i got the tires from my dealer, ive seen them on ebay tho

np willy.. let me know how the clear coat works, if its good ill use it on mine - other then that i hadn't thought of using it

Studboy

Thinks he can ride
I put the duplicolor clear coat on my pipe also. The Utah salt and bare metal pipes don't mix, and I was sick of putting more time maintaining my pipe than the rest of the bike. :( That said, it has been holding up good and it gives the pipe much more of a polished luster than I could ever get before. :thumb:

hey studboy.... by "polished luster"....is the pipe quite shinny??? i really didn't want a shiny look, and i'm just about ready to coat my pipe now, just wondering how shiny it comes out...are we talking like platnium pipe look ???? that wet glaze you want a car to look like?

here are pics i took about 20minutes ago! i washed it out and put a layer of oil on it, looks much realer in person!

Studboy

Thinks he can ride
j0ker, It looks good. I would still recommend the clear coat. I have wasted so much time the last year on polishing that stupid pipe of mine...but now that I have it clearcoated my maintenance on the pipe is almost none!

mxwilly, it isn't polished silvery like a platinum pipe, more like a wet kind of look. It looks like it has just been freshly oiled and polished, except better and all of the time!!!
I'll go take a photo so you can see. My bike isn't as perfectly cleaned as j0kers though...did you just get new plastics or something?