_j0kA_

Jan 29, 2002
how can i strip the paint from the stock pipe on my 04RM250? i was thinking about sandblasting it but not sure if that would leave marks or not.. thanks

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
That may be your only option, but it won't matter if there are marks. With bare metal, you can sand them off, doesn't matter. That stuff is baked on so it's gonna be tough to remove.

kawdude

~SPONSOR~
May 20, 2003
I removed paint on my pipe (any everything else) with Permatex Gasket remover. Bubbles the paint in 5-10 seconds. Might want to try that before sandblasting.

The baked on paint may make a difference but its worth a shot.

_j0kA_

Jan 29, 2002
thanks, ill try some of the paint remover then go on to sandblasting if it doesnt work.. i love the works look (Y)

210zook

Jan 14, 2004
I have an 03 RM 250 and sandblasted the pipe. After I blasted it, I used
WD-40 and a Scotchbrite pad to clean it up. It looked great!

_j0kA_

Jan 29, 2002
hey bro, do you have any pics of your bike where i can see the pipe? or just the bike..? email me tojcic@rogers.com

jackdrinker

Apr 11, 2003
aircraft stripper or automotive stripper. you can get it at the "depot" or auto paint store. i dont recommend it, not only does it prevent rust but it hold heat.
your best bet is to pick a clear vht finish when your done stripping it.
look at the pj1 site for vht paint.

Moto Squid

~SPONSOR~
Jul 22, 2002
I sandblasted mine and that was the stupidist thing...I couldn't get that special hot paint, even heat cured, to stand up like the stock stuff.

_j0kA_

Jan 29, 2002
hey dood, i sand blasted my 04RM250 pipe tonight as well as my friends 02CR125 pipe.. they turned out grainy after the sandblast but i took some really fine sandpaper too it and it came out to a works look in one section, so tomorrow im going to sand it all down and make it perfect/./ i just bought a digital camera tonight so i can take pictures after! just remind me by posting in this topic and ill get an email to check it and remember

_j0kA_

Jan 29, 2002
i sanded it all today and to my surprise (doh) it was rusted in one spot in the morning.. i guess the snow in the floor matt went onto the pipe

_j0kA_

Jan 29, 2002
pix

heres some pics of it.. i still have to finish it off, but it looks wicked!

_pipe.jpg

_pipe2.jpg

_j0kA_

Jan 29, 2002
hey bro, i took those with my webcam! ill take a pic with my digi now, i scotchbrited it so it looks less chromey and more works like

pic in 5 mins

Formula

Sep 21, 2000
I stripped my 99YZ250 stock pipe by sanding as well. Then to keep the finish from rusting I used Dupli-Color engine enamel.( Dupli-Color® Engine Enamel with Ceramic
Resists temperatures up to 500 degrees F ) They sell it in a clear color and I rode it all last year like that. The clear Dupli-Color engine enamel stuff works great. It adhered well and withstood abrasion, fuel etc. and most of the heat.
That being said during these winter months as I was stripping the bike down for maintanance I noticed right at the head of the pipe some had burned off, but only about 3 inches out from the cylinder. So for this year I masked that area and just used some cheap BBQ high temp paint. Dupli-Color also sells a high heat enamel (Dupli-Color® High Heat Paint with Ceramic Resists temperatures up to 1200 degrees F, intermittently) as well, just that it does not come in clear. That would last better than the BBQ paint for the head section but I was to cheap to buy it since I already had the BBQ paint.

mole1

Jul 14, 2002
i hate to even ask what you paid for those tires up here in canada , they look strange but i think they will become popular . oh and kudo's for storing your bike in the living room , closest i could get mine was the laundry room .

mxwilly

Feb 23, 2003
hey joka, your pipe looked so sweet, i took a run at mine last night while listening to the supercross on sxgp.com

i think if i had to do it again, i would sandblast. i used paint stripper and elbow grease. let's just say by the main event at mid-night, i'm not sure if the fumes got to me or the alcohol i was pounding back...but all was good. By 1:30am I had most of the paint off and this morning it looks good. a few minor areas to clean-up, gotta get a small wire brush or something to do along the seams.

i too bought that dupli-coat high heat clear. i'm gonna give her a spray with that, hopefully it'll help keep the rust away. Are you planning on covering it with a clear coat?

later, thanks again for the pics, it took away my uncertainty!!!

Top Bottom