_j0kA_

Jan 29, 2002
i got the tires from my dealer, ive seen them on ebay tho

np willy.. let me know how the clear coat works, if its good ill use it on mine - other then that i hadn't thought of using it

Studboy

Thinks he can ride
Dec 2, 2001
I put the duplicolor clear coat on my pipe also. The Utah salt and bare metal pipes don't mix, and I was sick of putting more time maintaining my pipe than the rest of the bike. :( That said, it has been holding up good and it gives the pipe much more of a polished luster than I could ever get before. :thumb:

mxwilly

Feb 23, 2003
hey studboy.... by "polished luster"....is the pipe quite shinny??? i really didn't want a shiny look, and i'm just about ready to coat my pipe now, just wondering how shiny it comes out...are we talking like platnium pipe look ???? that wet glaze you want a car to look like?

_j0kA_

Jan 29, 2002
here are pics i took about 20minutes ago! i washed it out and put a layer of oil on it, looks much realer in person!

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

Studboy

Thinks he can ride
Dec 2, 2001
j0ker, It looks good. I would still recommend the clear coat. I have wasted so much time the last year on polishing that stupid pipe of mine...but now that I have it clearcoated my maintenance on the pipe is almost none!

mxwilly, it isn't polished silvery like a platinum pipe, more like a wet kind of look. It looks like it has just been freshly oiled and polished, except better and all of the time!!!
I'll go take a photo so you can see. My bike isn't as perfectly cleaned as j0kers though...did you just get new plastics or something?

Studboy

Thinks he can ride
Dec 2, 2001
Here it is. All of the spots you see on the pipe are from the millions of times that it has rusted really bad before despite the constant WD-40 bath it received. For some reason the spots show up more with the flash.
I've ridden in the snow a bit with it and it has held up well.
:thumb:

Attachments

• P1010058.JPG
    P1010058.JPG
    51.8 KB · Views: 93

mxwilly

Feb 23, 2003
thanks guys for the pics.....
joka, thats one sweet ass zook.

hey studboy, i can't get your photo's to work. i tried coating the endcap of my silencer (cause i stripped it too) and it has that wet look. so as soon as i finish cleaning the welds on the pipe, i'm coating it so i don't have to polish like you mentioned all the time. i think it'll look alright.

thanks for the info guys!!! :thumb:

_j0kA_

Jan 29, 2002
thanks guys!

studboy - its a 2004 with about 5 hours on it, thats why it still looks brand new..

where can i get this clear coat paint and how much does it cost? can i buy a no-name or standard clear coat at canadian tire or something similar?

oh yeah, is it possible to grind down the welds on the pipe? they look sheety

Studboy

Thinks he can ride
Dec 2, 2001
I used duplicolor engine clear coat with ceramic. You can buy it at just about any auto parts store here. It was ~$3 for a can, which is enough to do your pipe at least two or three times. I'm sure that you could grind them a bit, but personally I wouldn't go through the hassle.

mxwilly

Feb 23, 2003
joka, that duplicolour clear is available at canadian tire, that's where i got mine. it's high heat with ceramic, good to 500deg f.

willy

_j0kA_

Jan 29, 2002
thanks guys.. hey willy, i just realized that you live in ontario.. where at? im in pickering, we should meet up

mxwilly

Feb 23, 2003
joka, ya we should hook up, i'm not too far away, i live in fergus. i'd love too see your bike in person, looks real sweet.

stay in contact, and maybe this spring we'll get out and ride somewhere.

Top Bottom