woodsrider823

Aug 8, 2005
I stiriped the hole for the tranny drain plug on my kdx and its not holding oil right now. I was thinking about re tapping with a bigger tap. any one done this or have any ideas? any imput would be awsome thanks

mxwannabe

May 11, 2005
You could tap it the next size up or just helicoil it. Helicoil is fairly simple, basicly all you need is a steady drilling hand and the helicoil kit. Good luck

Jeff Sexton

~SPONSOR~
Sep 7, 2001
I've done it both ways. You have to be careful with the heli-coil because it's possible to thread the coil too far into the crankcase and close off the hole that drains the transmission. I had this problem with a KX65. When my son stripped out his KX85 I went the other route and just drilled and tapped to a bigger size. As for me I prefer the latter. Fortunately, I haven't had this problem with any KDX machines yet.

droopie69

Aug 19, 2002
woodsrider823 said:
I stiriped the hole for the tranny drain plug on my kdx and its not holding oil right now. I was thinking about re tapping with a bigger tap. any one done this or have any ideas? any imput would be awsome thanks

Just had it happen to me. I tapped it to 1/2 fine thread and got a allen head bolt so it would have a small head to fit the little recess on the bottom of my case. I got a little gasket to fit it and it worked perfect.

Top Bottom