kurt15

May 22, 2006
Ok, so i was just finishing up on my new topend on my kx when i got to like the 2nd last bolt i had to torque that connects my jug to the case and the whole bolt turns freely... i pulled it out with my fingers, along with all of the threads from the block... this is the 1st time ive ever had the motor apart and am assuming that the previous owner stripped them torquing them too tight... can i just smother the bolt in permanent lock tight or do i have to get a bigger bolt hole drilled... if anyone can figure out what i'm talking about with my not so professional motor lango any help would be appreciated :)

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
You need a heli-coil. It's a stainless steel thread that replaces the original thread. Take your cylinder back off and take the engine to your local shop. Most shops can install a heli-coil for you.

You can buy a heli-coil kit, but they are a little pricey if you only need one heli-coil. They come with a tap, an installation tool and several heli-coils. If you only need one, it may be less money to take it and have it done.

kurt15

May 22, 2006
but there is nothing in the way that if i drill it i wont have like coolant or something leaking out of there.. that was my concern with that, thought it highl;y unlikely, but still wanted to be sure. thanks guys

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
If the hole is closed at the bottom you cant drill it any deeper. just clean it up to its original depth. If the thread you cut into the engine is shorter than the helicoil, you will have to trim it. I generally use a dremel with a light duty cutting wheel. shouldn't be too difficult. If you are not confident in your ability i highly suggest letting someone who has some experience do it. even an auto service shop should be ble to do it, if they will. good luck.

mx4life

Feb 8, 2007
helicoil is so easy!!!!!! do it yourself, with so many things stripping its worth buying the kit and learning, follow the instructions and make sure no little chippings get in the engine and you will be fine!!!I did one a couple days ago for my first time and im 13.

Top Bottom