25Cameron25

Jul 15, 2008
I had finally gotten my bike all back together from a top-end rebuild. I started my bike up and it ran great then i rode it pulled it back into the garage and after about an hour it had dripped one drop of engine oil. At first i thought my crush washer on the drain bolt was bad but it ended up being that my friend (dont trust your bike to your friends) had over torqued one of the bottom bolts on the left crankcase cover and stripped it just enough to very slowly drip oil. Is there any easy fix or am I screwed? should i just ghost ride it off a cliff now?

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
Heli-Coil.

Available at your local industrial hardware store or have your dealer install one for you.

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
If you remove the side cover and have the area exposed, a shop should only charge under $20 to install one. A kit will cost you from $30 to $50 but you will have enough heli coils to repair about 10 stripped holes.

RM85rider123

Oct 28, 2007
25Cameron25 said:
I had finally gotten my bike all back together from a top-end rebuild. I started my bike up and it ran great then i rode it pulled it back into the garage and after about an hour it had dripped one drop of engine oil. At first i thought my crush washer on the drain bolt was bad but it ended up being that my friend (dont trust your bike to your friends) had over torqued one of the bottom bolts on the left crankcase cover and stripped it just enough to very slowly drip oil. Is there any easy fix or am I screwed? should i just ghost ride it off a cliff now?

same thing happened to my bike, but the little spout that you drain the oil out of cracked in half, and came off. An aluminum welder grinded the whole spout down, and welded a block of billet on the hole. Then he did a heli-coil job to the block of billet, and it works as good as new.

robwbright

Apr 8, 2005
I stripped the oil check hole - dad took the case cover to the power plant where he works and used the machine shop to drill out a slightly larger hole with new threads. Installed new screw/bolt and put back on bike.

You may or may not have room to drill a larger hole.

Top Bottom