psustang89

Jun 22, 2006
I recently bought a 94 RM250. I got a smokin deal (I think) from a friend of mine for $350. The bike runs great, but now it's time to change the oil. The bike's drain plug is stripped (I knew this when I bought it). Now, I know I need to drill it out and tap it for a larger plug, but 2 questions:

1) Is drilling it out advisable while the engine is still on the bike? In a perfect world I would take the engine out and use a drill press, but...

2) Where would I find the next biggest drain plug? Is this something that is readily available?

Thanks

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
Is the thread a M12? If so, you can run a 1/2 fine thread tap in the hole but you'll need to make your own plug out of a bolt. Fill the flutes of the tap with grease to catch any metal chips. Make sure the new plug is the exact same length as the plug you are replacing or your tranny could bind up.

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
2strokerfun said:
Helicoil it

I second that.

Helicoil it and use the oem drain plug and washer. Can be done with the engine in the frame if careful.

DEA

Jul 11, 2001
I've used the Loctite form a thread before on a quad before.
Must have worked I haven't herd anything from the owner

psustang89

Jun 22, 2006
Well, the previous owner of my bike must have really wanted to ride, because there's JB weld on the drain plug. I saw that and went back in the house. Maybe this week I'll conjure up the patience to deal with it.

flat capper

Jun 25, 2006
before using a helicoil try to get hold of a wurth time-sert they are much better ast its a solid insert rather than a coil ive done it a few times mainly for the usles ktm riders

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom