rostifer

Mar 23, 2006
I got a Husaberg 470. Its a great bike defenantly a recomendation for someone wanting to get a new bike. I needed to take the valve cover off and two allen head screws are stripped. How can I take these screws out. I know that drilling it and using a eay out will work but I kinda want to use the screws again because the bike abeing a husaberg, parts are kinda hard to find. Any help?

76GMC1500

Uhhh...
Oct 19, 2006
If you can access the head of the screw, a small pair of Vise Grips or Channel Lock pliers may do it. Impact drivers work, but often break the heads off screws. If it does break the head off, at that point, it's best to drill and Helicoil. I usually skip the Easy-Out step because they break more often than they work. When they break, you're really screwed.

matt poker

Oct 17, 2006
When I strip a screw, I take a dremel with a cutting disc and cut a slot in the screw. Then you can just use a screwdriver to get them out and they're still usable.

Bunya

Apr 26, 2007
I'm assuming they're socket head cap screws. If it's down in a counterbore, your options are going to be limited. Even if there is enough room to cut a slot, if you stripped it out using a hex key, there's no way you'll get it out with a screwdriver. Another complication is the fact that SHCS's are usually pretty darn hard. You could try an easy-out, but they don't grip very well in those harder bolts. That leaves drilling or welding. Forget trying to save them - you can't get them out now! If they're normal SHCS's, you should be able to find something close at McMaster-Carr to replace them with. Best of luck!

Marc -

Top Bottom