stripping and painting a rusty exhaust pipe.

68b_body

Jan 24, 2008
i went out and bought some Klean Strip rust remover to remove the surface rust of my FMF pipe.
rustypipe.jpg

it was a bare metal finish not chrome or painted. i used a scotch brite pad and a lil brass brush to remove all the surface rust. then i applied the kleen strip and let set for 10 minutes.
kleenstrip.jpg

this stuff worked great. took it back to the natural steel finish. i preped the surface then painted it with dupli-Color high heat ceramic engine paint http://www.duplicolor.com/products/engine.html
now i never used engine/header paint before so i dont know how well it will hold up.
paintedpipe.jpg

City Hunter

Feb 8, 2008
I just did the same thing on my ct1 dt175, but I used a wirewheel instead, but the same paint, seems to be holding up nicely so far, but I havent ridsden the bike due to bad seals.

68b_body

Jan 24, 2008
that kleen strip rust remover is some pretty good stuff. there wasnt any rust left on the pipe after i was done.

City Hunter, so the paint hasen't been flaking off when the pipe gets hot?

stumanarama

Aug 29, 2007
i wire brushed mine and painted it a while back, turned out good and has held up nicely, except for when my supposed friend laid it down the first day out

Top Bottom