santod

Aug 28, 2005
Bar mounts / Strong Handlebars?

Thanks for all the good information provided. I have been researching 1 1/8 bar mounts and there seems to be two different types available. One being the entire clamp and rubber bushing that connects to the triple and the other and much cheaper being the adapter set that connects to the bottom portion of the 7/8 bar mount. Other than the one inch rise is there any problems going with the adapters?

Which of the handlebars are the strongest? I am a new rider and ride trails only. Yeah, I still land it down a lot.

Currently, I have my eye on the twinwall bars from Renthal but was wondering if the fatbars are stronger?

Would the pro tapers be a better buy?

Thanks for any information on this topic.

Last edited:

mtk

Jun 9, 2004
Renthal TwinWalls are the strongest bar on the market. ProTapers (the originals) are next in the strength department. I have no idea what follows those as I use TwinWalls myself. I do know that Renthal Fatbars aren't as strong as the TwinWalls and I don't think they're as strong as the ProTapers either.

You might also want to consider handguards while you're at it. I put Cycra ProBends on my bike, with the TwinWalls, and they saved my fingers from tree limbs many times while on the bike and also prevented bent or broken levers if I happened to drop it. The Cycras were expensive and worth every penny. I don't like bent levers so if I bend one, I'd replace it. Given that, the ProBends paid for themselves in the money I saved on new levers. I also no longer had to carry a spare clutch lever in my Camelbak when trail riding either.

Kevin003

Jul 5, 2005
I have had a set of protapers and am currently riding a set of twinwalls. The protapers aren't as strong as the twinwalls but are still a good set of bars. Ive fallen countless times with the twinwalls and haven't even so much as tweaked them up or down. I fell just as much with the protapers on and i bent them up about 2inches or so. The protapers are a good set of bars but i would stick with the twinwalls if i were you.

Dave.Smith

Dec 15, 2002
For woods I'd go with the ProTapers. They offer some narrow(er) woods bars, the lack of a crossbar makes it easier to mount a steering damper and since the bars flex a little in rocky terrain your hands will thank you.

slickpuss

Sponsoring Member
Jan 19, 2002
I use the fatbars and protapers. I use softer bolts for the mounts so If I wreck its a quick change out of a 30 cent bolt instead of a set of bars. Its worked like a dream for a long time now for me.

rickyd

Hot Sauce
Oct 28, 2001
You may want too check out a set of ProTaper SE's, if i remember correct, they are supposedly stonger than the regular Pro tapers.. Ive used Pro tapers with great success and will continue too do so..
Rick

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
Twinwalls crack even when you never crash, they are not the strongest, i seem to remember a test showing tag bars are the strongest.

rm_racer

Mar 15, 2005
marcusgunby said:
Twinwalls crack even when you never crash, they are not the strongest, i seem to remember a test showing tag bars are the strongest.

That was only a certain few in the manufacturing run. Theres a thread about it around here somewhere.

I am 99% sure Twinwalls are the strongest bars. What Twinwall bars are is well, a bar inside a bar. Renthal takes the 7/8th inch bar and pretty much wraps it in another layer of aluminum. This means, even if the outer wall cracks it does not really effect the preformance of the bar. Im also pretty sure that if the outer wall cracks, Renthal replaces the bars.

If you can find that test saying the Tags are better, that would be great.

Lets see if I can dig up the thread about the cracking outer layer of aluminum. http://www.dirtrider.net/forums3/showthread.php?t=92088&highlight=cracking+twinwalls

mtk

Jun 9, 2004
The TwinWalls are NOT the same, at all, as the 7/8" Renthals. The inner tube is NOT the same diameter as the smaller bars. I know this for certain because the TwinWalls use a different bar end when you mount handguards to them. The TwinWalls are actually thinner than the 7/8" Renthals (the inner bar, that is) at the bar end, which required rubber mounts for my Cycra ProBends, while the 7/8" Renthals used the standard knurled aluminum mounts in the bar end.

As for Tag bars being stronger, from the anecdotal evidence I've seen on here and other dirt-related websites, I highly doubt it. I've seen lots of folks tell of bending Tag bars but the tales of TwinWalls getting bent are few and far between and all of those involved a serious get-off. The set I bent required me sideswiping a tree in 4th or 5th gear and even then they weren't really that bad, unlike my femur.

bikepilot

Nov 12, 2004
Azonic makes or made a bar very similar to the renthal twin walls that seems to be indestructible. My dad has them on his XR650L and hasn't managed to tweek them yet. He used the adapter mounts rather than a new tripple clamp.

I use pro-tapers on all my bikes, I like the bend of them and the feel. Plus they are very light weight and I've not yet managed to bend them.

SND

Mar 26, 2004
Yes,
The TWinWall is the strongest bar by FAR.
They are a bar within a bar.

In regards to the outer wall cracking...
Two years ago, we had a very small batch come through. We used "balls that were too big" in the peening process and it compressed "too much" of the outer wall. After a bit, a crack arrived. There was no danger in this (as it was the outer wall only...which is a 'suit of armor' for the 7/8" bar within the outer wall.) We replaced any and all bars that were brought to our attention. There were no failures and this is two years old. The TwinWall is the safest and strongest bar THAT CAN BE MADE in the 1'1/8" diameter. That means that it is not only the strongest bar on the market...it is also the strongest bar that CAN BE MADE in the 1 1/8" diameter! :nod:

cheers!

mtk

Jun 9, 2004
Are the TwinWalls guaranteed against bending? I've heard that they are, but I'd like to get some confirmation on that one.

kx137

Jul 1, 2002
Dunno, I purchased the twinwalls when they first hit the market and I have never been more satisfied. The crossbar pad however was a different story. It cracked into 10 pieces w/in 2 months. I emailed Renthal (just to inform them) and they sent me replacement pads very quickly.

My question is about the tripleclamp mounts. I recently purchased a 06 KX250. My other KX125 (w/ the twinwalls) has the full procircuit clamp system. I tried to swap the alum. inserts and 1 1/8 clamps w/ my new bike ... no luck. Where can I find a non-rising bar clamp for the 1 1/8 bar for my stock triple clamps (either alum. or rubber inserts are fine)

mtk

Jun 9, 2004
mtk said:
Are the TwinWalls guaranteed against bending? I've heard that they are, but I'd like to get some confirmation on that one.

To answer my own question, I finally got a reply from Renthal and they are not guaranteed against bending, only against manufacturer defects.

Top Bottom