WideOpen

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 21, 2000
not too many tricks there, but sometimes i lean the bike over turn the bars to the right and gas it, only works in mud less than 6 inches

CrazyTed

Jul 26, 1999
Well...having been stuck on more than one occasion while learning how to race I can tell you the best way to get unstuck is not to get stuck in the first place. But, once you're there, you have to get out. If I'm really stuck, I'll lift the front end out and turn the bars full lock so the wheel won't slip back into the rut. If I can pull the back of the bike out of the rut either straight up or lean it over and pull it out sideways then I'll do that. On a couple of occasions I've actually had to turn the bike around and ride it a couple of feet to get to another line. This must be done with extreme care as you'll be going the wrong way. The smartest thing to do is stop and look a few seconds and maybe watch someone else's line. I find by taking 5-10 seconds of looking I'll usually find a great line and not get stuck. The next couple of laps the line is usually still good.

Kramer

Jan 19, 2000
I got stuck riding solo when I first started riding. It was that deep, sticky, suck-your-boots-right-off sludge. My poor TS185's wheels were caked solid. It couldn't even spin the wheel without my weight on the bike!! Help was not an option.
I dug, and poked with sticks, rocks, vines, even by hand. Heck the stupid bike was being held upright by the mud. The only way I made any progress was by digging out around the wheels, and laying the engorged machine over on its side. Wrestling that beast out was a big lesson for me. I'm now very leary of untracked mud!!

WideOpen

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 21, 2000
whats the best way to go through mud?? i normally gas it until i get a foot for it,or give it a little gas to keep up the momentom (don't know how to spell that)

scrambler220

Mar 3, 2000
I know this is a thread about how to get out of the mud, so this is a little late, but...When you approach a mud hole, pit, etc., ride across the ruts. I had a pro tell me this, and it's amazing how quick he changes direction when entering mud just to ride across the ruts...and it works.

yzeater

~SPONSOR~
May 21, 2001
I learned about mud on one of my first rides on my first bike; the xr 100. It was 6:00 at night and it had rained heavily the days before. I was coming home and I got stuck. The mud was about 3 inches over my rear tire and a couple inches under the top under the top of my front tire. I decided at first to spin my back tire as much as possible. That isn't a good idea when you have an almost rear tire. So...it was getting dark and I eventually got it out by pushing it as hard as possible while pinning the gas. I got it out...somehow.

rumblefish

Apr 21, 2000
Use an excavator:)

I once got my bike so horribly stuck that it would not budge. I tried digging it out with a shovel, but every time I'd dig, it would fill back up again. Eventually I gave up and left it there over night (I knew it wasn't going anywhere). The next day, I had my Uncle lift it out with his excavator.

ebenmarx

Jun 23, 2001
Mud

hard to think a cr250 with so much power cant pul itself out of mud! When I got stuck, I puled my front weel out and lay my bike on its side, when I tride my back weel my front went back into the mud, and so it went on for 15 min. Two people holdig on to my back weel and me pulling on the front got the bike out eventuly. Gasing the bike thru the mud is what I did, if it was not for me flying over the handel bars I would probably not have got stuck. Thanks for all the tips

woody51

Apr 2, 2001
Mud,
Don’t even get me started! On one of my first rides with my CR I went out and got buried. You could only see the top 4” of my back tire. I tired everything to get that thing out. I looked like a muddy pig after a while. I finally had to have a farmer pull me out with his tractor. I am sure glad that he was around.

What’s my point? Getting stuck sucks and next time I am going around it or getting a helluva of a run at it.

adam728

Aug 16, 2004
dracer1!! said:
can some one give me some tips on how to get out of really deep mud

Didn't people already do that?

If it's really deep sometimes the only way is to lay the bike over and drag it to firmer ground. If you can't lift/drag your bike, get in shape or get a mini-bike!

Never mind, you have a mini-bike..... :bang:

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
ebenmarx said:
hard to think a cr250 with so much power cant pul itself out of mud!
Want to feel a whole lot better watch the Millvile race from this year- either 2nd moto wil work :nod: . Bikes were getting stuck everywhere and it often took 3 or 4 people to free them enough to ride. Anyone can get stuck bad enough that your race is over the trick is to think ahead so you just might avoid getting stuck. Often on an MX track if there is water standing in a rutted corner you are better off staying out of the water and going around it if at all possible.

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
As soon as you can get one wheel free, turn the bike end over end and it will pull the other wheel out. For example, if the rear is stuck completely, once you can lift the front, lift it all the way up and over backwards like you have flipped doing a wheelie. That will give you the leverage to free the other wheel. Once upside down, lay it over to one side and try to get going again.

Agitator

Dec 21, 2005
rumblefish said:
Use an excavator:)

I once got my bike so horribly stuck that it would not budge. I tried digging it out with a shovel, but every time I'd dig, it would fill back up again. Eventually I gave up and left it there over night (I knew it wasn't going anywhere). The next day, I had my Uncle lift it out with his excavator.

That's pretty handy :laugh:

It seems that draggin' the thing out by its side only works for lighter bikes in shallow mud. If you're chillin' in the woods or on a trail (but not at the track) and you're the only one around, you could get some sticks, boards, or dead tree pieces (I mean big). Then... you could make a path to get the thing out, depending on the size of the muddy area you're in. Obviously, if you're in a huge pit, makin' a little dandy path won't be worth :uh: but if you just need to get outta' a 20' puddle, the tree pieces can act as a path (or they might just make a mess). Spruce/pine tree bows work well for "floating" over mud.

Just some thoughts :blah:

Last edited:

Top Bottom