stuck piston rings

jessem

May 23, 2001
I'm putting togather the top end of my 95 RM 250 and i've run into a problem. When i put the rings onto the piston, the rings don't go down into the groove far enough to be flush with the sides of the piston. If I tap the rings with a mallet, they go in all the way but they stay stuck in the groove and they have to be pryed out with a screwdriver. It is a standerd size genuine suzuki piston and rings. Is it supposed to do thiis or is something wrong? thanks for the help

spanky250

Mod Ban
Dec 10, 2000
That doesn't sound right. Are the rings directional? Some rings can only be installed one way, usually with the writing up. If this is not the case, I don't think I would use the rings or piston.

cujet

Aug 13, 2000
Suzuki did use tapered rings in the 250's. Spanky is correct, the letters stamped on the ring go up. They are hard to see somtimes.

Chris

jessem

May 23, 2001
thanks for the info. the rings were tapered and i got it on right. The bike is now running great:cool:

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…