slickhenry

Jul 13, 2001
Is anyone out there going to the Stumpjumpers race/poker run in Eastern Washington this April? Seems like that might be a good opportunity for some of us to get together. I usually run the Ironman Poker run and then camp or get a motel and go to the dunes the next day.

If you have not been there the Iron Man is usually 70-80 miles and they have a 100 mile race, a shorter "family" poker run, and a dual sport ride. It is a well organised ride and it is a good time.

Anyone interested?

fishhead

die you sycophant !
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 22, 2000
It's west of vantage a few miles but thats the one. It's struck me kinda like woodstock meets off road warrior goes two wheel glamis with rocks kinda thing. Rode it last year and found out what those other gears in the kdx are for. WAHOO! It is a two lap route for the long course so you can gas at the pits.

It was a hoot! Large crowd but well behaved.

Advice, get there early and hope for a little rain the day's before. If it rains hard the silt (they call it sand) is slicker than snot.

I don't know if the PR is on for this year I have seen flyers for the race and the DS but nothing on the PR

KW

Oct 14, 1999
Been looking forward to it since last year. Hope to see some of you out there. Look for a xr4 with those big bold dirtrider.net Stickers on the fenders!

fishhead

die you sycophant !
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 22, 2000
Terrain is eastern wa semi desert, silt sand, scab rock, sage, and some bunch grass, not a tree for miles. elevation 2000' or so. NMA offroad series event.

bbbom

~SPONSOR~
Aug 13, 1999
I thought it was the same one - seems early this year but maybe not.

We rode the Poker Run last year and it was fun except for my crash in the first 5 miles or so of the first loop. Taught me to keep my Advil in my fanny pack and NOT in the truck!

As for terrain I would say desert rock garden. Lots of rocks, lots of sand, lots of those ugly hard rooty bushes not much for washes or whoops (if I remember correctly). Some areas were pure broken up rock gardens that acted like marbles if you didn't keep up enough speed (imagine that).

I don't know who sanctions it but it's put on by the Stumpjumpers MC.

Hondaxrguy

May 17, 2001
I'm going to have to ty to make it this year. I hope to be doing many of the area races. Won't know for sure until closer to the date.

Jeremy

Highbeam

~SPONSOR~
Jun 13, 2001
I'll be there for my first harescramble/desert race. Look for the 20 year old XR500 blowing a huge cloud of smoke, only the first minute though. My riding partner will have an 85 XR600, also a first minute smoker but not as bad yet. I have heard the start is a standing start where you stand 50 feet away from your bike with the engine shutdown. Are the speeds high, like 100 mph high? It wouldn't take long to go 80 miles in that case.

Hondaxrguy

May 17, 2001
Hey, can me and my smokey XR400 join in the fun? I've been trying to get it to stop smoking for a while now, but it's having a hard time quitting. Especially with all that stress it goes through at startup. I just has to take a smoke break.;) Maybe we need to form a support group for our bikes.:cool:

Jeremy

slickhenry

Jul 13, 2001
Hey I just got back from a short trip to Oregon. I am glad to see some of you might be going to this ride. Are any of you interested in meeting somewhere to get aquainted? Will any of you be going to the dunes the next day?

Keith M

Oct 14, 2001
I mite want to go to that! is there any directions? is it in the Tri cites area? it sounds familiar, I did some work out that way a year or so ago, Thanks Keith.

slickhenry

Jul 13, 2001
On the race weekend the easiest directions are; "Go east on I-90 until you see A WHOLE BUNCH of dirt bikes. Take the next exit and follow the signs. It is the exit that is just on the westside of the bridge over the Columbia River. You then backtrack a couple of miles on the old Ellesberge Highway and you are there.

dual-sporter

Jun 2, 1999
hmmmm... (thinking about it)...i need to knock some dust off the XR... it's been neglected, i've been riding the quad at oakwood lately
cam,
the nearest dunes are at either moses lake or beverly,
beveryly is an hour south along highway 240 (?) toward richland but it is small.. about 300 acres
an 45 minutes east along I90 is moses lake dunes, about 2000 acres... don't recall what exit... but just before moses lake.

Top Bottom