Stupid CR450F Countershaft Question

truespode

Moderator / Wheelie King
Jun 30, 1999
I have an o-ring on the bike and was waiting for a Fastway spacer but it looks like it won't be in.

By accident last week I installed the countershaft sprocket on wrong. I put it the other way around. In this position the o-ring chain does not come close to the cases at all.

I am wondering if this would cause long term negative effects or if I can keep it that way.? If so, is there a particular size washer I can ask for at the hardware store?

I really want to get this solved by tomorrow so I can ride on Sunday and not worry about anything during DW.

Thanks in advance.

Ivan

Chris426

Nov 30, 2000
Was it the OEM sprocket that you reversed, or an aftermarket? Regardless, if you'd like to play it on the safe side. call up a automotive machine shop, and see if the can sell you a valve spring shim in either .015, or .030 thickness. Based upon your description of how the chain is now nowhere near the case, and the fact that even with the Fastway spacer the chain still lightly touches, from what I've understood, I'd probably think about flipping the sprocket back to the correct side out, and try the shim method.

truespode

Moderator / Wheelie King
Jun 30, 1999
Now I have to find a place open on Saturday since by the time I get out of work most places that do cylinder work will be closed.

Thanks guys. That is the info I was looking for.

Ivan

BigBore

Jun 16, 1999
I can't really offer any help on the subject, but I'm curious......wouldn't moving the sprocket further out on the shaft cause the chain to be out of alignment?

truespode

Moderator / Wheelie King
Jun 30, 1999
Not at .025.

I found a few shims that worked. They fit perfectly over the shaft and were a little wider than the surface area on the sprocket (the thin part that rests on the inside).

I put 2 .010 and 1 .005. Fits like a glove. I probably could have gotten away with just the 2 .010 but I already had them on and am very comfortable with it.

I did the line test behind the bike (look down the line of the chain and spin the tire to make sure the alignment was right) and everything seems very copacetic <sp?>

Ivan

techman

Feb 18, 2000
If you want to be sure you don't get any chain contact on the cases, note that the chain can slide side-to-side a little bit on the sprocket, so slide the chain inboard by hand to confirm it can't hit the cases at all. You can slide it outboard and push it in side-arc mode to check for clearance from the frame too. I found out about the extra chain side play when on a sprocket when checking rear chain guide alignment after I whacked my chain guide once.

I'm going from memory that the issue stems from wider O-ring chains. Hope the info is useful. :)

teamgrn84

~SPONSOR~
Sep 3, 2001
I just rode my crf yesterday and found out that yes the o-ring chain does rub.stopped and put the stock one back on barely scratched the cases, but still made me a little mad, who doesnt put o-ring chains on a bigger bore bike? anyway the bike totaly rips what a weapon i have an 02 cr250 and love the crf it is my bike of choice, can't wait to go to wahougal and practice on it. Thanks for the info guys,have a friend who has a machine shop and will get some shims!!!!!

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Originally posted by teamgrn84
who doesnt put o-ring chains on a bigger bore bike?

Lots of us. :thumb:

Top Bottom