stevenminix

Nov 28, 2009
i bought a repack kit the other day and im trying to repack my exhaust, its an fmf turbine core II silencer. i like it with my fatty. i followed instructions for my specific pip and removed the screw all four of them and i only got rivets left.. i can not get this thing out.. ive pulled, tugged, beat with a mallet, heck i even tied the can to the two hook on my truck and tried jerking the pipe outta the silencer, you shoulda seen that! this thing will not budge a bit anyone got any tricks id love to hear em all. please help, i dont wanna sit here and have done all the maintanence to my bike so far but cant get this stinking silencer apart.. :debil:

helio lucas

~SPONSOR~
Jun 20, 2007
are you sure the fmf silencer is stupid?
don´t hit it with a mallet, bite it... works for me...

got any pics of the truck thing?

some silencer cans are glued for better seal. try to heat it with a torch...

stevenminix

Nov 28, 2009
appreciate it ill have to try that out, only thing i dont got a torch.. i appreciate the info though and thought bout that.. any tricks anyone uses. i dont think the previous owner repacked it ever.

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
I am thinking my FMF Turbine Core II silencer has only three screws that need to be removed. Are you sure you removed the correct ones?

It comes apart from the input side, not the output.

If you are sure you have the correct screws out then I would apply some heat.

Rod

stevenminix

Nov 28, 2009
i took the three out near the input and also took out the one near the output for good measure whats that one for? only thing i got for heat is a hair dryer.....

ellandoh

dismount art student
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 29, 2004
try soaking it in some kerosene, its probably glued together with spooge, then give it a couple whacks with a rubber mallet??

maybe rig up some type of noose and yank the other end with a ratchet/winch

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
I usually hold onto the input side pipe and hit the tabs that the canister hangs on with a rubber mallet. You'll really have to hit it hard and several times. If it has never been apart or at least not for a long time, they can really get bound up. A hair dryer is enough heat to help loosen it up. It's good incentive to change the packing often...which helps keep the noise down and the performance up :)

stevenminix

Nov 28, 2009
Yeah ill prob repack often once I get it apart. I just think its been a long time since the prvious owner repacked it. I think ill try the soak in kerosene thing.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom