cteteacher

Feb 13, 2007
First off I did search, but did not find an answer. Which way do you turn your spokes. I am new to the whole bike maintenance thing as this is my first bike since I have been a responsible adult. :laugh: If you are looking at the wheel from the brake side of the bike with the spoke on the bottom would you turn it right or left. I didn't know if they might be reverse threaded or anything like that. Thanks for any help.

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
spokes on the side you are working on, clockwise. Spokes on the other side than you are working on (meaning, every other one), counter clockwise.

Bunya

Apr 26, 2007
It doesn't matter which side of the wheel you're on (not to mention the brake is on opposite sides of the front & rear). They have conventional right handed threading. To tighten it, you would turn the nipple from left to right when it's on the bottom. It does get a little confusing since you're in essence turning the nut looking at it from the bottom.

Marc -

cteteacher

Feb 13, 2007
O.K. I just had my front wheel relaced which is what prompted the question. Now I just need to understand something else. When they relaced the wheel they said all of the nipples where stretched out and had to be replaced. They made it sound like it was because I didn't tighten them often enough. Now after riding this past weekend it seems as though a few need to be tightened. Is what they indicated true and is it normal to have to tighten them so often. Thanks for all the answers.

WomanRider

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jul 19, 2006
Bruno670 says: There is an initial breakin for spokes. But if you do alot of jumping or hard riding it is advisable to check them often. I would suggest to check them everytime you ride until you find that they stay tight.

Bunya

Apr 26, 2007
I'm really not sure what they meant by the nipples being "stretched out", but if they didn't replace the spokes then I doubt they were trying to rip ya. As far as them loosening after a fresh lace, it's normal. As you run it, everything moves around a little allowing the spokes and nipples to seat causing them to loosen up a bit. Keep checking them and they'll settle in after a bit.

cteteacher

Feb 13, 2007
Thanks a lot. It is a good feeling knowing that they will hopefully tighten up and stay that way after a while. Just when I was a kid riding I never worried about all of this. I think I screwed up when I bought the bike and I should have checked them and tightened them, but I just didn't think they would loosed up that quickly on a brand new bike. Now I know and knowing is half the battle. Thanks for all of your help.

Top Bottom