JonB

Jun 1, 2000
I just flushed the coolent from my 99 S-10 Blazer. I had to pull the bottom hose. The question I have is with the radiator petcock. It did not have ears or a "T" type handle to turn it. It was not broken either. The head of it looked like a one way safety screw. It looked like there would be no problem with the "righty tighty" but big trouble with the "lefty loosey". I tried with pliers/sockets and stuff but did't want to break it.
Am I just dumb or is there a GM tool to remove the petcock?

Thanks

Highbeam

~SPONSOR~
Jun 13, 2001
The petcock works great on my 98 K1500 pickup. The radiator in that truck has oil coolers in both sidetanks. Maybe your vehicle does not utilize the coolers and plugged up the holes instead.

I used the prestone add-a-tee to provide the flush. No need to use the petcock.

The real question, did you put deathcool back in?

JonB

Jun 1, 2000
Dex Cool was plugging up my heater core. GM has released a service bulletin to deal with it getting the Dex Cool out and cleaning the system.
She has good old Prestone in there now and I have heat. You need that up here in NH!!!!
Finding out about the petcock is just me be curious about GM's stupidity.

yo its matt!

Aug 26, 2000
that radiator plug can be a little confusing, insert a 1/4 extension in the center and turn carfully, it has to turn and come out towards you at the same time, gm has flush procedures for dexcool, but dexcool is good stuff regular antifreeze become acidic after years and eats metals and gaskets dexcool usually doesnt eat metals but it does turn to chunks if air gets to it the good thing is it flushes out easily, if you still have green antifreeze in your car get out your meter and put one lead to battery negative, the other in the radiator
if its turning to acid it will make .1-.2 volts time to change that stuff. (no kidding i am mr. goodwrench lol)

Top Bottom