mxmatthew

Apr 7, 2003
SUB mounted Scotts Steering Stabilizer

OK, so I think I have read through almost every post on here about steering stabilizers and I'm pretty sold on the scotts system. I have an '08 KTM300xc with stock triple clamps and stock bars (fatbars).

Most of the pictures I was able to find of the installed stabilizer were the above the bar version, so I am assuming that this is what most people have. Is there anybody that is using the SUB (below the bar) mounted version?

I would like to keep my handlebar area as uncrowded as possible. Also, if possible, I would like to be able to use my bar pad. (my bar pad has saved my chin once before and I feel kind of nervous to ride without one)

- Do you see any problem with being able to use the bar pad with this version of the stabilizer? (maybe some minor modifying/cutting of the bar pad?)

- I wouldn't mind my bars to be slightly higher, but not a whole lot. Does this mount make a huge difference in the height of the bars?

Any other comments about this mounting option would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you,
Matt

Last edited:

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
mxmatthew said:
I would like to keep my handlebar area as uncrowded as possible. Also, if possible, I would like to be able to use my bar pad. (my bar pad has saved my chin once before and I feel kind of nervous to ride without one)

- Do you see any problem with being able to use the bar pad with this version of the stabilizer? (maybe some minor modifying/cutting of the bar pad?)

- I wouldn't mind my bars to be slightly higher, but not a whole lot. Does this mount make a huge difference in the height of the bars?
Matt

Matt.

On my Scotts unit I took a Pro-Taper bar pad and cut out a piece of steel plate the same profile as the stabilizer. I heated the plate with my torch and pressed it down about 2/3's of the way into the foam. This leaves an indention in the foam for the stabilizer. Then you can place the bar pad down over your stabilizer and hold it on with a couple of nylon ties. Once the bar pad is on you almost can't even see the stabilizer. As far as the heighth goes, I went from the Pro-Taper High bars to a lower bend to compensate for the added handlebar heighth.

Hope this helps. :cool:

mxmatthew

Apr 7, 2003
Thank you! I was hoping I would be able to do something like that.

Never thought about doing I like you said. I would think that it would keep the pad pretty clean compared to mauling it with some kind of knife.

Top Bottom