elcamino12sec

Jan 16, 2006
Just to make a long story short, on Saturday I submerged my 2005 kx250 in dirty mud water. It took about four hours to get the bike back home and running again. I changed the plug, coolant and engine oil and got it running with little trouble. The bike started and spit out quite a bit of water from the silencer once running. My question is, will the crank bearings go bad since water got in the crank case? Everything is running well now but I just dont the bike to leave me stranded.

Last edited:

Bent6

Jul 30, 2000
It's no big issue since you got it running so quickly. I'd pull the stator cover and let it air out for a few days. I'd also go ahead and pull apart and regrease the headset and rear suspension.

elcamino12sec

Jan 16, 2006
My plans this winter are a complete tear down and reassembly including a new top end. I was just getting opinions on if I should tear into the bottom end or not. Since Im not working at the time I think I will stick with the original plan.

May 5, 2007
I think if dirty water gets into the cylinder you definately need to clean the topend before you try to start it.If the water was dirty im sure it left grains of dirt and mud behind and thats really bad for the cylinder.I dont know if the rings would be a good enough seal to keep water from seeping past the piston either.And i guess it would also depend on where in the stroke the bike quit running.I think also water in the cylinder can blow a head gasket because it doesn't compress.
I think its called hydrollic siezing or somthing like that.I vaugly remember somthing about that on some forum.
Im not for sure on any of that though.

2-Strokes 4-ever

~SPONSOR~
Feb 9, 2005
Missouri
Attempted to cross a low-water bridge after heavy rains a couple years ago, (whitewater.......REALLY stupid). My riding buds now call it the "yellow submarine". It took about 2 hours to find it, and fish it out.....totally submerged. Took it home that evening, pulled motor and top-end. Sprayed WD40 and rinsed inside cases over and over. Changed all fluids, regreased, repacked muffler..........no real damage done, but the seatfoam weighed a ton for a year or so..........

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom