my250

Mar 19, 2002
Long story short ... I went off the track and into a lake on my bike - CR250 - me and the bike were submerged for about 5 seconds. Well, when I got home I emptied the exp. chamber, carb and tranny - today they are drying out. What I need an opinion on is - do you think water got past the dust/oil seals on the front forks? Should I replace the fork oil ?

Welcome your opinions

signed,
waterlogged

motometal

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 3, 2001
Keep in mind that bearings can rust enough to do permanent damage within a few days...get the engine and tranny flushed out as quickly as possible and get the bike going again.

Any possibility of mud getting in the works, or was it just water?

I wonder if the forks would have enough positive pressure inside to keep the water out...

Glitch

~SPONSOR~
Dec 3, 2001
Talking about bearings rusting, do you think that your stearing head, linkage and shock bearings need to be disassembled and regreased. And maybe the wheel bearings, it seems water might of gotten into them.

Buzz Bomb

May 9, 2000
To prevent the bearings from rusting, just remove your reeds and pour motor oil (cheap stuff works fine for now) into the engine until it comes up to the bottom of the piston. This will keep any water from rusting your crank and bearings until you have time to tear everything apart. I did the exact same thing to my bike (dunked it into a pond 15 feet deep!) and couldn't work on the bike immediately so I poured oil into it. I also filled the tranny as high as it would go in order to prevent any problems there. For the suspension I think you'll be alright, because I sent my suspension to be revalved a few months after dunking my bike and the guy said the oil looked fine with little or no contamination in either end. I simply took the dust seals off the forks after it was submerged in order to clean any muck out. The linkage bearings were fine, but I would re-grease them anyway. Same with the steering stem, which needs to be greased more often anyway, IMO. Its not as bad as it originally seems. I was horrified when I did this, but I got over it.

Top Bottom