submerging a bike

joebiodiesel

Dec 6, 2006
I plopped my '01 KDX in the drink yesterday. I was riding along the edge of the stream and lost traction on some snow. I headed down the bank and ended up sinking the bike. I got it shut off before it went under so it was actually pretty easy to get running again. After a short, cold ride home I washed it off and parked it. I'm regreasing all the bearings today, and my question is: Do I repack the wheel bearings too? If I remember right, they looked like sealed bearings.
Any advice appreciated.
Joe

ridejunky

Dec 6, 2005
Check your airfilter to make sure its dry. I ride thru knee high water all the time with no probs. If it didn't get in the engine your good.

Deeno

Apr 20, 2007
you'll want to check the packing inside your muffler if it's not stock. Be sure its still in good shape not spoogy, or it can flatten out your top end, and clean the carb with carb cleaner this evap any water in the bowl

jason33

Oct 21, 2006
yea you do grease the wheel berrings-!!
it helps keep things from getting hot and gaulling up- espescially the axels ect...
re grease everything-
but 1 little flood of water isn't going to kill the bike-just double check the engine ,and electrical-
also water can enter the crank case through the breather hole-
hope i have helped-

joebiodiesel

Dec 6, 2006
Cool! Thanks everyone for the good advice. I took the air filter off in order to get home. The filter was wet and I didn't want to suck any water/mud into the engine. I hate riding without a filter, but there's still no dust here, just mud. So I figured it can't be any worse than gets done to a snowmobile. The carb was dry and so was everything on the clean side of the air filter. Looks like the oil on the filter was doing it's job. I did take the carb apart anyway...which was fine because I was just going to change the stock jets. Found lots of great jetting advice in previous posts here too. As a matter of fact, I chosen chain/sprockets, tires, tall seat foam, moved my handlebars forward and knew to pay special attention to the swingarm bearings all as a reult of this site.
The only burning question I still have is: Can the KIPS really rattle that loudly and not be a problem? I've never heard another KDX, so I have nothing to compare it to, but MAN! that thing is noisy. It's hard to believe it's normal.
Joe

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…