Suggested Retail for the 520MXC?

Buell

Dec 1, 1999
Well, I walked into the local KTM shop today and there it was.....
A BRAND NEW - AVAILABLE- 520MXC. I could feel the credit card heating up in my rear pocket...

I asked "how much" they replied with a number that sounded like the price for a small car:confused: I know I'm not going to get a "deal" but I'm also not going to get ripped off...I'll wait or get something else:think

What's suggested retail for one of these?:silly:

Hick

Aug 15, 2000
I think it is $7,195 (or is it $7,095?)

I have seen a few sell for close to that, but there may not be too many left at this late date. OTOH, those dealers that do have them may be sweating having last years model sitting around much longer...

scottyr

Mar 12, 2000
It seems that there are a few MXCs floating around all over the place. I get the impression that the EXCs are in lot higher demand.

Buell

Dec 1, 1999
Interesting, only things I could find in print were for the SX model in the 6600 range.....8K seems high even with tax and tags:think

I was looking for an EXC, but the MXC would meet my requirements...:silly:

Only thing that has to go is that fuel tank....funny but they have an EXC tanks, shrouds and graphics on the shelf....maybe I'm not the only one:D

Anybody that knows a dealer in California with one, let me know...maybe somebody else would at least throw in the tank
:scream:

yarbonwick

Sponsoring Member
Mar 7, 2000
If I'm not mistaken, if you replace the tank you also have to buy shrouds .

Quoted from KTMster:"The E/XC fuel tank capacity is 2.1 gallons and has separate shrouds. The M/XC fuel tank capacity is 3.5 gallons and the shrouds are part of the gas tank...they actually hold gas." I would be scared of popping those shrouds if they hold gas.

On pricing:
'01 520 MXC - MSRP $7,148
'01 520 SX - MSRP $6,698
'01 520 EXC - MSRP $7,248
'01 400 EXC - MSRP $6,998
'01 400 MXC - MSRP $6,898
'01 400 SX - MSRP $6,448

About four hours from you is Wilson's Motorcycles in Fresno. If there isn't another KTM dealer near you call them to compare.

(Spam note: don't go there)

Last edited:

Buell

Dec 1, 1999
Anybody know where there are more 520 MXC's in California?

Yarbonwick, You're right -> tank, shrouds and graphics to "EXC" the tank...the MXC tank is strange...the "shrouds" do hold fuel...and is scares me:scream:

Where did you find the pricing info? I check KTM USA.com, nothing there...dug out the old magazines...could only find "SX" pricing:(

Hick has a point, maybe I'll make an "offer" every other bike in the shop was marked down...way down.

yarbonwick

Sponsoring Member
Mar 7, 2000
I sent you a PM of the info but it says you are full. They have one in stock according to their webpage.

jeb

Jul 21, 1999
Originally posted by yarbonwick
Quoted from KTMster:"The E/XC fuel tank capacity is 2.1 gallons and has separate shrouds. The M/XC fuel tank capacity is 3.5 gallons and the shrouds are part of the gas tank...they actually hold gas." I would be scared of popping those shrouds if they hold gas.

My personal number for the EXC tank is 2.3 and the MXC tank is 3.8.

I just purchased a new take-off tank for a 520MXC for my 400EXC. I installed it this weekend. I had some fitting to do because of my Flatland Racing radiator guards but I finally got it. I think it's pretty well designed. It's got small indents where your knees ride to make it slimmer where it's important. It didn't feel much wider on a short ride I took. It's just opaque enough to see how much fuel you have and it's got a neat overflow catcher/drain built in around the gas cap. It also allows you more access to the carb on the shifter side.

I bought it for hare scrambles so I don't have to pit but I may leave it on if I don't find any drawbacks. I also had worried about putting a hole in a shroud or cracking it. I've been paying attention for months for this problem and I've not heard of one single case so far. Plus, I have my EXC tank to fall back on if I do damage it.

You'll most likely be able to sell the MXC tank on the net pretty easily.

Buell

Dec 1, 1999
Yarbonwick, I cleaned out the messages, please try again...
"They have one in stock according to their webpage" They who?:confused: In the message that didn't go because I didn't clean house, right!?:o

edit - Okay, I went back and read the above messages - Wilson's - I'm with you now! I'll call them tonight. -end edit

Jeb, I'll do the same, keep both tanks and use the right one for the occasion:cool:

Last edited:

Nverfastenuf

May 4, 2001
The dealers are pretty much getting full retail for the EXCs. Many are even putting a surecharge on the bikes because they are so popular right now. If you can get one for near 7500. delivered I would think that you are doing well. We have two friends that earlier this year payed over $8000.00 and were just happy to get the bikes. Like they say, supply and demand!!!!:scream: :think

U2leight

Nov 25, 2000
Regarding supply and demand: I ordered, waited, and sold two 520 EXC's for $7800 each. And if I was a dealer and had 10 '01 EXC's or MXC's I would not be worried about them selling!
1st ride will tell you the rest! just get one, you will love it!;)

Top Bottom