RazorbackDave

Oct 14, 2000
Practice the clutch & rev (a lot!) 2 strokes like to be revved past the point where you thought your XR was going to explode, keeps the plug clean too.

The difference in power is like night and day.

Happy trails...

------------------
'00 KDX220R
'93 XR 250R (for sale)
'00 XR 70R (Son's)
Lookin' for a clean KX65!

Queequeg

Mar 16, 2001
FC-22
I just started riding a KTM 200 Exc as a beginning dirt bike rider. After about 8 hours of riding on trails close to home, I joined a group of friends for a couple of days riding near Moab, Utah. I had a great time and would share the following observations about 2-strokes and the KTM 200 in particular:

1.) If the bike is jetted correctly, it can be ridden slowly over technical areas and has exceptional low end torque and power.

2.) Learn to use the clutch to control power when climbing and to prevent stalling when making slow descents.

3.) Be prepared for brakes that REALLY work. It is easy to lock up either end with just a little pressure.

4.) Find some wide open country and learn to enjoy the feel of the bike as it comes on to the pipe. I would describe it as more of a surge than a hit. It is almost like having two bikes in one. As was mentioned earlier, the sound does take some getting used to -your KTM will handle rpms to the moon compared to your XR.

5.) The KTM 200 is very forgiving with both it's power delivery and the suspension. I made several serious mistakes in Moab - (too slow for a hill climb approach, too fast for a rough section through rocks, etc.) and the bike saved my behind every time.

6.) Enjoy the new ride. I think this is one of the best choices in bikes you could make, and like all of the KTM owners I know, I am not at all biased. :)

Top Bottom