Suggestions for reducing power on CR80

nsxxtreme

Apr 18, 2006
I bought my girlfriend a 1998 CR80 for a first bike. Powerband kicks in she screams and lets go of the handle bars. :)

That little thing has a big kick as far as powerbands go.

My ideas were to gear it up to take some power away.
Also switch to a larger jet to run the bike rich.

Less then ideal fixes. I was hoping to find a rev limiter of some kind for this bike. I haven't been able to find one yet. Anyone know of one? Or other suggestions besides a different bike.

motodawg

Sponsoring Member
May 1, 2002
The larger jetting would cause fouling. Gearings not a bad idea, maybe a flywheel weight and a more restrictive exhaust system (would probably have to jet for that too).

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
pays to do a little research before buying a bike for a newbie...
Just sell it and get her a used TTR125. Sorry, I know you didn't want to hear that, but you bought the wrong bike.

NO ONE would have suggested that bike had you asked.

nsxxtreme

Apr 18, 2006
I knew the bike had kick I had one when I was a kid. I wanted something she can grow into not out of. And I dont care for 4-strokes.

I dont mind fouling plugs. $2.00 plug each time out isn't that bad.

She is fairly good at picking things up quickly. We both ride fixed up 750sxi stand up skis. She will do ok, just need to reduce power so the learning curve isn't so steep.
It has an fmf pipe on it, so I will try the stock pipe to.

Thanks for the suggestions, a rev limiter would be perfect if I can find one.

I found steahlyoffroad dot c_om from your suggestion thanks. Ordered it, will report back how well it works.

Last edited:

dirtbikegeek

Apr 14, 2006
If I am not mistaken they don't sell rev limiters for two strokes(they are mede to rev).I would definitely sell it for something like what Okie suggested.That bike just has to much punch.

rm_racer

Mar 15, 2005
Fly wheel weight or I think there is a product that restricts or slows the turning of the throttle. I'll see if I can find it and post up the link if I do.

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
Have you thought about throttle restriction? Loosen the throttle cable so WOT is not achievable. As skills improve, so can throttle useage.

My first though was to assault this thread, I decided to try to help instead.

Last edited:

Masterphil

DRN's Resident Lunatic
Aug 3, 2004
Try cheap first:
Put slack into the throttle cable
Buy a 1 tooth larger CS sprocket
Not much else will really tame an 80 without $$$$.

nsxxtreme

Apr 18, 2006
dirtbikegeek said:
If I am not mistaken they don't sell rev limiters for two strokes(they are mede to rev).I would definitely sell it for something like what Okie suggested.That bike just has to much punch.
msdpowersports.c_om

husabutt

Dec 26, 2005
I would get the 11oz flywheel weight. That should helpl a lot. Lean the jetting as much as possible to pick up low end. Work on the needle especially. Go one tooth less on the countershaft sprocket to make it easier to let out the clutch and decrease spacing between gears so that high revs are not required before shifting.

Boosting compression, advancing the timing and possibly running two cylinder base gaskets or one thicker one, should help shift the powerband down lower.

Fabricate an airbox lid to limit the amount of intake air. Try covering half of the opening to start.

Consider an XR100 for awhile until her skills develop.

nsxxtreme

Apr 18, 2006
Masterphil said:
Try cheap first:
Put slack into the throttle cable
Buy a 1 tooth larger CS sprocket
Not much else will really tame an 80 without $$$$.
Money is not really an issue.

I have a 10oz flywheel weight on order as others suggested. It is all that is available for this bike. Currently there is a 49 tooth sprocket on the rear. I am going to try a sprocket after I try the flywheel weight.

I am interested in more info on something that would restrict the throttle.

Besides letting go of the handle bars the one time, she did really well.

husabutt

Dec 26, 2005
You might also want to try the Moose intake torque spacer and the Bonz exhaust torque spacer. If you try 'em please report back. I am tempted to give the exhaust spacer a whirl on our YZ85. Heck I have done just about everything else to get more torque out of it. It probably brings the "tuned" RPM down a bit in the powerband. Some feedback would be great.

Culprit

Aug 31, 2005
You could try putting a piece of rubber hose on top of the throttle slide to limit the throttle opening.
Try restricting the exhaust to reduce power greatly. All the other options here are quite good. ie, flywheel weight and getting a 4T to learn on!

nsxxtreme

Apr 18, 2006
I tried the flywheel weight. Honestly I cant say I would recommend it for $100.00. The change was slim to none.

Good news is she is picking it up fairly fast and likes her bike. She likes how lite it is, she knows that she can pick it up off of her if she was to crash. Bike seems to be popular over at mx-girls also.

Before I purchase another $100.00 item I would be interested in finding out if anyone has tried the throttle cam on a cr80.

I am going to stick the stock pipe back on and see how that goes.

breezeair

Feb 8, 2006
I put the Moose torque spacer on my sons kx85. We can tell a gain in the low to mid range, but the bike still has a pretty big hit. I wouldn't say it tamed the bike down any.

sick 96 250

Damn Yankees
Jul 16, 2004
do cr80 have exhaust valves? What about just adjusting the spring so the powerband doesnt come on really strong.

headbanger

May 7, 2000
I just picked up a KX65 for my son, his first clutch/shift bike. I made a spacer out of a piece of copper tubing to limit the slide travel to about 5/8 open. So far it has worked out well. It will let him get used to shifting with out scaring the $%%$& out of him. Cost me about 2 penny's! And he loves his new bike!

You could also buy a cheap plastic throttle tube and grind a flat on it near the cable attachment to make your own G2 cam throttle. I just picked one up for $14.00
Good Luck!

nsxxtreme

Apr 18, 2006
headbanger said:
I made a spacer out of a piece of copper tubing to limit the slide travel to about 5/8 open.
Good Luck!
That actually sounds like a good idea did you put this between the cable and slide? I assume you squezzed the tubing so it wouldn't fall off?

headbanger

May 7, 2000
The way I did it was to route the cable thru the center of the tubing and the spring went on the outside of the tube. I used a piece of 3/4" dia.
If you loosen the cable by the twist grip it will help attaching the carb slide to the cable. Then just readjust the cable.
You could also restrict the exhaust by placing a washer between the pipe and the pipe spigot.
Good luck!

Top Bottom