bruno670

Sep 13, 2006
They definately need to get their S**T together. There needs to be a AMA rule on sweep. I was stuck on a road for 2 hours and only one truck with a couple of semi intoxicated harley riders that picked me up. Asked the wife how long it would have taken her to find me. She said that they were told that I was in a totally different section. There was a truck that was running support for another rider that told me that they would find her and get me out somehow. (YEAH, RIGHT) Who knows how long I would have been out there!!

slowone

Aug 4, 2006
Sounds like the Summer Bummer was a bummer! Man, they should try and keep the sweep crew as close to the last riders as possible in case of an emergency!

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
bruno670 said:
They didn't have a sweep crew!!!!!!!!!!!

Unfortunately I think this club is real challenged on membership and help. They hardly had any check in't to sections (Lots got away with going in early) and one OB check only had 1 guy.

I was most dissappointed that they keep jacking up mileages, clock and check placments every year and throwing checks out.

As far as the event it self, it was good. Mother nature was a little, well a lot hot under the collar. It was 90 degrees by 9 Am and got to 98 degrees by the time we started on row 28.

The trail was good stuff, some of it was pretty technical from a log placement, angle perspective. For me near the end I got jacked up a couple times :bang: and had to drag the bike up off the ground and push it over some precarious log jams-that in 98 degree humid heat at age 52 takes a toll on me and i got tired for the last section and half. :uh:

I checked into the last section 2 minutes late. It was a section we rode twice and for me it was the most fun, but the second time through i was just trying to stay on the bike, stay upright and make reasonable time.

Tyhe old guys, B and C riders did not ride the last "A" section which was on the "Sun Club" property so we didn't see any bares but that was OK with me because I didn't want to ride any more any way and that last 10 mile section I was told was real tight and gnarly and I had no more arm strength.

I enjoyed camping, cook and hanging out with my friends and doing much better there than last year.

It was more of a "summer sizzler" than a summer bummer. It was the hottest race I ever rode, I missed the Marquette heat race due to injury but was told this one was vary comparable -the heat makes it a real challenge. :nod:

I guess we can complain about races that are less then perfect and each race seems to have opportunities but I am just glad to be able to ride enduros, even as flawed as they are because there are many parts of the country that are losing land and just don't have enduros any more. I will go back next year and they will probably screw it up again but I still get to ride some nice trail and thats what matters the most to me.

bbarel

Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 13, 2003
Trail and conditions were outstanding (not counting the temperature). Other than that I think it was the most poorly executed enduro I have ever encountered. No sweep is totally unacceptable! They also had to throw out 3 checks because they were off, so some guys got screwed and other guys got a gift. I was in the got screwed group. Scoring was a nightmare without MotoTally and manually recalculating 2 or 3 times as they kept throwing out more and more checks.

Wolverine423

~SPONSOR~
Oct 2, 2005
I had a few good laughs {Tom Dunn :rotfl: } with my friends. The pink handguards were a big hit! To bad I didn't take the offer on another bet with the "Young Guns" for the handlebar streamer like they wanted too as I put in a good ride yesterday. I ended up beating one of them and came close to the other. It was a good turn out as it was a 4 district race {14-15-16-17}. I must say it was a hot one down there! BTW the pink handguard will stay on as they create good karma :nener:

DW

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
Bruno - What row were you on? Didn't other riders behind you let the check crew know there was a rider/bike down on the trail? Good thing you weren't seriously injured waiting on a Medivac!

While most clubs are challenged in getting enough good volunteers to help out, a club should not be hosting 2 events in a weekend if they can't get enough people to at the very least run sweep. :|

Throwing out a check here and there does happen, but 3 of them!?! And yes, it would be a nightmare having to re-score that many riders 3 times.

Wish they would have used MotoTally... It's a couple of mouse clicks to throw out a check and recalc all scores... in seconds (although it takes a couple minutes to print a new report).

Attachments

• MT_Throw_Out_Check.jpg
    MT_Throw_Out_Check.jpg
    143.7 KB · Views: 217
  • MT_Throw_Out_Check_2.jpg
    MT_Throw_Out_Check_2.jpg
    169.5 KB · Views: 218

bruno670

Sep 13, 2006
Yeah the trail was fun. I was having a riot. Actually beat the boy by the 4th check, then the bike started to show its age. Lower rod bearing went and left me just after check 8.
Back to the club. They advertised new members and new non wooped out areas. If they had new members where were they. Advise to the other clubs, if you are down on manpower they why not ask for volunteers. I'm sure there were some that would have helped.
Other than the club problem the race was a blast. Would have liked to race in the neighbors property.<nod>

bruno670

Sep 13, 2006
I was on minute 10, and I talked with a few people who was riding to the end for support and they said that they would contact the wife and let her know.(she was there for H20 and left thinking that she saw me pass her. I was behind the truck and jumping up and down trying to get her to stop.

bbarel

Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 13, 2003
Smit-Dog said:
While most clubs are challenged in getting enough good volunteers to help out, a club should not be hosting 2 events in a weekend if they can't get enough people to at the very least run sweep.
Yeah good point. Saturday actually went smooth. Makes you wonder if they ran out of time and cut corners for Sunday and didn't double check their check placements, etc.

fatherandson

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 3, 2001
Sunday was a good event. The trail was excellent and well marked. It was hot! I also was disappointed with the check placements. For a club to put on two events in one weekend is A LOT of work. In the past they have asked for help (D&D), but not this year.
The A/AA section was the most difficult and a real challenge at the end of the day. There were some younger bares in the woods this year, but no time to stop for a photo op.
I will also make a return trip to this event, but I hope they get better organized. If they decided to do a two day District event and not a Family Enduro, my vote will be to sanction only one of the days (just like this year).

TCTrailrider

Jan 19, 2004
Riding sweep is a great job. Get to ride some great trail at your own pace. A big scavenger hunt, if you find someone there happy, if you don't your happy. Sweeping the Jackpine I found a celebrity, TD. Made my day. :rotfl:

nzambon

Apr 19, 2003
For all you people that have put on a enduro please this is not pointed to you you know how much work they are. To the rest your whineing is getting old to much this not enough of that. give it a rest shut up and ride thank the people for there hard work and support them and even help them. We have a club member that drives 6 hrs 1 way to work trial on a regular basis. Flat whiners yeah we need more.

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
Hey Nick, I thought you guys were coming down for chicken. I had a ton of it on the grill. In fact i never saw you at all after you drove by, ya had a good ride though. :cool:

nzambon

Apr 19, 2003
The ckiken sounded real good but I was in the mood for beef. stopped in WI picked up some good beef steaks and fresh corn with new red potatos. Maybe we can do fish & ckiken at wolverine and we'll even let azzhole pay for it.

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
nzambon said:
The ckiken sounded real good but I was in the mood for beef. stopped in WI picked up some good beef steaks and fresh corn with new red potatos. Maybe we can do fish & ckiken at wolverine and we'll even let azzhole pay for it.

I'm in!

Wolverine423

~SPONSOR~
Oct 2, 2005
OK azzhole Nick - You get da good fish and I'll pay for it! I'll even break out some flip'n cake on Saturday night for ya seeings how you're always running from child support charges when down below da bridge.

Wolverine423

~SPONSOR~
Oct 2, 2005
bruno670 said:
They definately need to get their S**T together. There needs to be a AMA rule on sweep. I was stuck on a road for 2 hours and only one truck with a couple of semi intoxicated harley riders that picked me up. Asked the wife how long it would have taken her to find me. She said that they were told that I was in a totally different section. There was a truck that was running support for another rider that told me that they would find her and get me out somehow. (YEAH, RIGHT) Who knows how long I would have been out there!!
Chalk one up for the handle bar hangers! Did you have to wear a wig & lipstick?...

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
Some body has to have some damn event pictures. Where are they??? :pissed:

Top Bottom