Sapper33

Apr 15, 2007
I just picked up a bike, and now need to get some gear. Because of the climate and a reduced budget, I'd like to get stuff that will work for me summer and winter(+30 to -30*C...so -20 -> 90*F).

I figure getting a helmet with maximum ventilation would be best and just wear a thin skull cap in the winter to keep the wind out(an/or tape over vents).

But I'm wondering about armor. How well do hard plastic chest protectors do when you've got layer of clothing under/over them? Would it be worth going with some thing like a 661 Pressure Suit, vented "jacket" that can be worn close to skin and them wear everything over it?

Also does anyone have suggestions for winter gloves? I think my ski gloves would be way to hard to work the clutch in, and my regular gloves won't be over warm.

Steve St.Laurent

Mi. Trail Riders
Feb 6, 2006
Your not going to be able to get one set of gear that will work for that range of temps.

The pressure suit is great for winter cause it's hot and you can wear clothing over it. In summer it's not so great cause it's hot. I wear a 661 suit in winter and a regular plastic chest protector in summer. You could wear the chest protector in winter as well - I would have if I hadn't bought the pressure suit first.

For real cold temps MSR makes Cold Pro gloves which work well - http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/item.aspx?style=749&department=206&division=2&WT.MC_ID=80003 (that's just the first site I found with them listed on so check pricing). More important than the gloves is having something to block the wind such as these - http://www.mooseutilities.com/products.jsp?level1=973&product_group_id=1249 . That's assuming you use barkbusters since without them you may have problems with them interfering with your levers. With those on your bike you can ride down to about 25 with regular off road gloves, below that I switch to the cold pro gloves.

In summer I wear Moose racing Sahara vented gear. In winter I wear Moose racings expedition jacket and pants. The most important thing in winter is to stay dry and they do a good job with that plus there's venting you can open on the jacket to control your temps.

kmccune

2-Strokes forever
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 3, 1999
I wear Thor core summer and winter. The trick for winter is to use good coverage hand guards and if possible on your bike, install grip warmer :nod: Then I wear my enduro jacket with some layers, plastic chest protector right under jacket. Long undies under the pants as well. I ride to around 0 F and this works well. be warned that if you are going on a longer ride to not dress too warm and to pack dry warm cloths and you will sweat, so breaking down or getting stuck can cause you to get very cold, if your wet or don't have extras. Oh and mink oil on the boots, vented ones suck in the winter. HJC makes a nice helmet that has the option of winter chin and nose protection but still looks "moto" :)

Top Bottom