Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
Woke up at 2am, couldn't sleep, called Mosier at 4am and the race was on. I loaded the trailer and hit the road arriving at the track approx. 6:20am, I was the 5th person there. It drizzled rain all the way so I setup my newly acquired EZ-up first thing, opened the folding chair for the dog to get comfy in, unloaded the bike and got everything ready for practice.

I walked the track with my new friend Kenneth all the while people was slowly pulling in and by this time they're calling for practice.
Since I had already walked the track I did about 20 push-ups to warm the muscles did a few stretches and hit the track. It was very mushy and very little traction was to be had. By the time I had completed one lap my hands already began to cramp up. I came up short on a double and bottomed my forks hard but managed to stay on for the duration. After a brief rest I did my last practice, got the race order and I'm moto 1 & moto 5. I figure if mx547 and zero can race more than one class last week at Burleson, I can do the same at Mosier this weekend. The 1st race was combined classes, over 25, 30 & 40 and I got a 1st place in my class. I was very excited but there were some really fast guys in the other classes. :o

I head back to the truck with hands that were totally numb, bled the air from the forks and checked the gas. I had one full tank of gas and none to spare so the search was on for someone that has some for sale. Not a sole there was in any better shape than I was when it came to fuel so this was going to have to do.

Race 5 was coming up real quick so I remounted for the 125 beginner combined with 250 beginner. I got a terrible start and played catch up for the entire race, it was all I could do to hold on to the bars and I ended up with a 4th.

As my 2nd moto for race 1 rolled around I was really starting to worry I didn't have enough gas but I had no choice but to ride as is. I didn't do any better on this start but I somehow managed to finish 1st in my class (a long way behind the guys in the other classes) but good enough for my first "1st Place" trophy.

The 2nd moto for race 5 I shot out of the gate like a bullet, must have been because of less weight from lack of fuel, but had to let off in the 2nd turn to keep from T-boning another rider. I caught back up by the top of the hill and managed to hang for most of the race. As I began to tire I decided to concentrate on form and technique (ya know, slow down to be faster) because the guys behind me were a long way back there. On the 3rd lap I took a fall in one of the back corners and when I reached to pick up the bike my shoulder kind of popped like it was coming out of the socket, I guarantee they heard me from the fence line. I managed to pick it up, remount and fire it back up without loosing any places. It had to be a stroke of luck that I managed to finish the race with enough gas to make it back to the truck, I'm sure I was on fumes.

As I headed over to pick up my trophy's I had several people stop me and congratulate me on a good ride. This was a 1st for me and I even considered that they may have been joking but then it dawned on me that I was working on technique and just maybe that's what they saw.

At any rate I had a great time but I know how mx547 must have felt after last week. Two classes took its toll on me because I'm pretty sore today but hey, I needed the exercise. I'm not used to all the jumps but I had fun trying to do them anyway and I brought home a 1st and 4th place trophy to boot. :cool:

tx246

~SPONSOR~
May 8, 2001
way to go

way to go jeff!! keep that ktm up front and get all the glory!!

mg_racing

May 16, 2001
Great Job!

Great job Jeff!!! Enjoyed the story! I live in Ft. Worth,and was at Mosier Valley on 1/27/02 for the 12 - 5pm practice and had a really bad spill on the second table-top on the back side of the track and still can't ride as of yet. I have not raced since I was 13 and am now 31 and ride a yz125 and want to race so bad I can't stand it. As soon as I heal, I will practice a few more times and then I am gonna go for it. Anyway, good luck in the future and maybe we will meet someday!! Mike :cool:

Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
Thanks guys, makes me feel proud:cool:

DPW

~SPONSOR~
Jan 23, 2000
Congratulations, good job !:) . How big was the beginner class ? Just curious which double did you come up short on ?

Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
Dennis, there probably 8 to 10 in the beginner class I think. The day as a whole was short, I think a lot of people were at Village Creek.

How do I describe where the double is I came up short on? I'll try going at it in the backward direction, it was the small double 2 turns before you get to the whoop section. You would be coming off what i think they call Privatier mountain(?) then down a hill to a hard right then the double. I had been going into the berm do do the double but I took an inside line and didn't have enough speed. I think I could have made it anyway but I hesitated at the last minute. The steering stabilizer did it's job and kept the bars straight but the bike sort of stopped. I managed to stay on but I don't think I would have without the scotts on there.

I made up for the good ride last week today at Burleson, I really sucked the big one. The 125 open I got dead last both motos and mid pack on the beginer. I just ran out of steam real early on, I must have gotten older this week or something:ugg:

mx547

Ortho doc's wet dream
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2000
Originally posted by Jeff Gilbert

I made up for the good ride last week today at Burleson, I really sucked the big one. I just ran out of steam real early on, I must have gotten older this week or something:ugg:

maybe burleson does not suit your style. i know when i rode there, i felt like a fish out of water. that track is nothing like what i'm accustomed to. i was actually kind of embarrassed about my performance (or lack of) there. there are a couple of tracks here that i know i'm going to trophy at 95% of the time. there are others that i consider it a good ride if i can still see the leaders on the final lap.

Zero

~SPONSOR~
Oct 15, 1999
Style

I know Burleson didn't suit my style. For me, the track isn't *FUN*. I like jumping from time to time. And there really wasn't anything that resembled much of a jump at Burleson. I do like rough tracks, and it was super rough, but without the jumps it just wasn't the same. Throw in some technical sections and I'd be a happy camper.

Mosier is more techinal than Burleson with similar dirt and roughness.

Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
Are you guys going to be doing any of the Saturday night racing at Mosier when they start up the end of this month?

mx547

Ortho doc's wet dream
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2000
i may try to make one round this summer. it's a long drive for me, requiring an overnite stay. i always have to impose upon tx246 for accomodations. i raced a night race at village creek a couple of years ago and i had a great time. you guys are welcome to come up here and race our tracks too. i can put you up for the night or we can do a camp/weekend thing. tx246 usually comes up a couple times a year. maybe you guys can hook up with him.

tx246

~SPONSOR~
May 8, 2001
to be honest

i like the village creek night layouts of previous years. ive ridden mosier and it gets rough and the speed is bigger. vc night layouts are a more technical and a little slower. i like the vc dirt too. it can get rutty but they are soft and wont cause a crash. oh and did i mention no rocks to hurt me. as i am usually chasing people roost/rock ratio is important to me. i am game to meet up and do some sat night racing. i havent been going to the tracks because i hate sitting around by myself. we need to get together and do a few at both tracks.

02yz125

Sep 25, 2001
Man THIS SUCKS! All you guys live so close to me and i'm dying to race competitively but I work on the weekends!! TX246 you live real close, I actually grew up in Denton! Damn damn damn, I wanna race but am scared to do it by myself. I know i'm fast enough for short stints (smoke too much), but am scared of big jumps. I guess those are meant to seperate the men from the boys, or crazy from the less crazy! Boo Hoo, I need a winning lottery ticket!!

Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
Originally posted by 02yz125
Man THIS SUCKS! I work on the weekends!!

Do you work on Sat nights?

Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
depending on how long it takes you to get to Mosier you may be able to make the Sat night racing. You might not make practice though.

They start night racing on 2-23

Give me a shout sometime if you want to go & I'll see if I can make the drive up to peel you off the track if needed.:ugg:
It takes me about 2 hours to get there but I enjoyed the last night race I did there. I wouldn't worry about not getting to practice if you've never raced competetively before, when the gate drops just take your time and let all the hot shots go 1st. Heck, I still do that once I get to the 1st corner most of the time.

mg_racing

May 16, 2001
Hey 02YZ125. I live right here in Ft. Worth and am 20 minutes from Mosier Valley and I am in the same mind set as you!! I have been to Mosier Valley several times just for the practice session to get aquainted with the track and work on the bigger jumps, but have not raced there yet because I don't like going by myself. Maybe we can hook up sometime and go for the gusto!!!
FYI though, I am still healing from the spill I had there a few weeks ago on one of the tabletops but should be good to go in a few more weeks hopefully so drop me a line sometime if interested at mg_racing@hotmail.com.
Later!!! ;)

02yz125

Sep 25, 2001
Well here is the kicker. I work at Love Field! I could probably make it to Mosier in time for the races (by 730). I live in Denton which is about a 45 min drive from Mosier. The only problem is I have to leave for work on Sunday no later than 5:30 am. Ya see since I work only three days, I have to work 12 hours each day. Work 36 they pay me for 40. Its kind of a sweet deal and there are a lot of benny's for doing it. Get four days off a week to ride if I want, and do other stuff. But I do have to sacrifice somethings like racing competetively! I dont think the saturday night thing would work considering when I get home from work i'm dead tired. I dont think riding/racing after 12-14 hours would be to smart. Hell I tend to make a lot of mistakes when I'm not tired. Is there any races that happen during the week or just practice? I really appreciate all your input and offers. Just remember me if you have a day off in the week. And if I ever get off this shift look out! Thanks again peeps!

tx246

~SPONSOR~
May 8, 2001
you work for southwest?

sounds like a job a buddy of mine has on an aircraft maintence line. if you havent raced, i suggest going to one of the weekly night practices. mosier has em on thursday night and village creek is on tuesday night. of the two, village creek is a little slower track and the jumps arent as big. when it gets a bit warmer, like march, ill go to village creek quite a bit. we can hook up then. check www.villagecreekmx.com for day practices. they cant be too crowded because they are during the week.

mg_racing

May 16, 2001
Hey guys. Count me in if I am healed by the time yall decide to go! I'll be more than happy to hook up with you guys. The more the better!!!;)

dad80

Dec 11, 2001
hey yall glad to hear about your 1st you talk about getting to mosier for night racing you should try badlands its around farmersville off 380 may be closer and have a excellent turnout for ther night races check out their website at badlandsmx and believe they would allow camping good luck

Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
I will be trying out Badlands someday, I sat in thier seats at the FW AX show, pretty good people if I don't say so. Only thing is I'm coming up from Waco so it's a lot further for me I believe.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom