a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
Well it happened, I finished the Miller Canyon ride, and I remembered it too! Only 4 of us showed up for it, not bad though, easy to keep everyone together. We had the pleasure of taking Farmer John with us on the ride. He was out in BFE racing some enduro, desert thingy and he decided to join us. Good meeting you John!

It was Farmer John, Oldandslo, RMJeff and myself. We staged at Pilot Rock I think, and rode from there. Oldandslo took a step off on the slippery hard pack fire road and that was about the extent of the dirtnaps. I ran into a tree, but it help me up so I throttled out of it and continued on.

We came to a few stream/river crossings and they were pretty deep. The Deep Creek crossing where the Jeeps rally was about 2-3 feet in depth and it pushed up over the front fender and seat. Jeff's WR took on some water so they had to drain some out cause it wasn't running right. I had water go over my seat and above my waist so it was pretty deep. We tried to cross at the other Deep Creek crossing, near a fishing hole, but it wasn't gonna happen. The rocks were slippery and the water was flowing pretty good with about 2-3 feet of depth. I started to try it, seeing is that I didn't do anything stupid yet on the ride! But after getting about 3 feet into the water and it was already above my front brake caliper, I chose to turn back and head for higher ground. Jeff and John said they'd follow if I made it and Oldandslo (Greg) wasn't really happy about having to try it but he agreed as well to go. I was reminded that we had to come back through it to get back so I said, "F it!":)

The rest of the ride went smooth, lots of rocky stuff, single tracks, trees, YES TREES, and alot of large water puddles. Those were the highlite of my ride cause Jeff seemed to be in just the right spot to get splish splashed with muddy water and all. Thannks Jeff for putting yourself in harms way for my entertainment, you da man.;)

We did about 50+ miles on the loop and had a great time. It was nice to meet John and have him ride in our neck of the woods. He owes us a ride up North and we'll probably take him up on it sometime in the near future.

Thanks for the guide Greg, and I think we are up for another Phelan ride soon, it's been a while.;)

Elk

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
Originally posted by a454elk
Well it happened, I finished the Miller Canyon ride, and I remembered it too!

Way to go Carlo. :thumb: I knew you could do it. :laugh: :yeehaw: :yeehaw:

Farmer John

T.C.F.<br>(tire changin' fool)
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 8, 2000
Good riding! :thumb:

For a while I was thinking this was going to end up being a large group, but I think it worked out pretty good. I would have liked to meet more SoCal DRN'rs, but that just meens I have to go on some other rides. ;)

Hooking up in the morning was a little strange. Not only did I not know what anyone looked like or drove, but I didn't even know who was going other than Elk. As I was setting there in the paking lot of McDeath, amongst all the other OHV people, I noticed what I at first thought was a ray of sunshine, but it wasn't - It was Elk in the Disco truck. I introduced myself to Carlo, who introduced me to RMJeff & Oldandslo. They waited while I drove my truck to the Chevron to get a Forest pass.

We then rallied back to the staging area, unloaded, & geared up. I let them know that my KTM only goes 50 miles on a tank of gas & apologized for not bringing a bike that could go the expected 80+ miles.

As far as the riding I remember Oldandslo falling (only cause Elk reminded me), I remember the guy standing in the back of the truck, the nerd herd that developed at the bottom of Devils Hole (bunch of guys standing around going "hhmmmm that looks deep" & "yep that's deep"), I remember crossing Deep Creek & then a 1/2 mile later draing water out of Jeff's WR, I remember Armco lite (I had to use it to turn the KTM on the way in), I remember Greg rolling through a corner only to realize his bike was in nuetral on the exit, I remember going off the Lego bridge into a rock, but being so concerned with getting out of that water that I didn't fall, & I remember the cool wind on my soaked riding gear on the ridge top after missing the turn to camp. :)

After logging 50+ miles everyone loaded up & left. Carlo, I did miss that rock on the way out of the staging area. :think:

My drive home was uneventful. I left Miller Canyon @ 2:15 and was home @ 8:45. As I was driving out I looked at my trip meter so I could calculate the milage from Miller Canyon to my house & it showed 000.6, whenI got home it was 408.5. So that would be 1408.5 miles on the truck and about 160 in the bike for the weekend.

oldandslo

Aug 29, 2001
Good ride report guys. It was nice to meet Farmer John. 100 mile desert race Sat. then trail riding Sun. You're an animal.

Devil's Hole was intimidating. The deep water and moss covered rocks didn't give me a lot of confidence. Carlo went about 1 bike length in and started spinning his back tire. I'm sure he would have gone if we had acted like we wanted to go. By the time we left there was a big group just standing around watching the water flow.

The second crossing of Deep Creek was a little more fun. I saw Farmer John going off the deep end(sort of like a submarine) when all of a sudden he shot out like a missle. Pretty impressive.

Next ride we should do Deep Creek first. That way theres no way out when we get to Devils Hole.

JPIVEY

Sponsoring Member<br>Club Moderator
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 9, 2001
Sound like another great ride, I was going to stop by and see if I could find you guys after your ride but figured you had ready left. I was down in Anderson dry lake at the Nats, I could have made it over there easy, actually I should have gone, the Nats was a big bust for me.

YZandrew

~SPONSOR~
Jun 20, 2001
Good to hear that you finally finished that ride Elk. Those water crossings sound pretty crazy though, waist deep!??? Yikes!

I was thinking of you guys as I was lounging in the suite at the start/finish line above the pits at the California Speedway. ;)

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
Good stuff, great ride! I think we need a Phelan ride asap.;)

JWW

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 13, 2000
Phelan ride asap.;)

Set it up tough guy.

I might have caught a little water but I can stay on a trail. :moon:

Let me know asap. My wife wants to go to AZ so I need to book this before she does.

Boodac

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2001
JPIVEY how did the race go? Judging from your remarks it didnt go all that well. From what a friend was telling me the Poker Run was definately interesting.

JPIVEY

Sponsoring Member<br>Club Moderator
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 9, 2001
Boodac, I didn't make it to the poker run, but I'm hearing that it was great, our club had one of the ck pts all done up like MargaritaVille, played some Jimmy Buffet tunes and served up some drinks.

The race Sunday was great for the racers, I was out there to shoot it and things didn't go so well, I had a nice spot just about 2 miles in from the bomb, got some good shots of Davis,Brown, Pearson and Hedgie blast'n up the first hill climb; I think it was the sixth place rider that hit a rock and tossed it on the hill, it looked like a bomb went off, there was bikes and bodies everywhere, took a few more shots then went to help anyone I could.

The Ammi line was the same, first 5 - 6 made it , then someone would toss it and it was kaos all over again, I finally said screw it, put the gear away and just waited to help the next line.

When everybody,including the quads had made it though, I hauled butt back to the pits, I ended up standing or kneeling in the high speed section that lead to the pits and that was way cool, nothing like taking pictures of a racer doing 80+ just inches from you, kinda gets the juices flowing.

Anyhow, I usually shoot about 360 - 400 pics and yesterday I shot maybe 120, not good, not good at all

Last edited:

TwinSpar

AssClown WannaBe
N. Texas SP
Aug 18, 1999
Way to go Carlos!&nbsp; You finally conquered Miller Canyon.&nbsp;&nbsp; If you had bought a 4-stroke sooner, you wouldn't have had to suffer the humiliation that you did with the YT!&nbsp;;) :thumb: :)

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
I'm gonna tell on you again, better get out and shut the door behind you!:) And it's not humiliation, it's a learing experience.;)

Farmer John

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 8, 2000
And it's not humiliation, it's a learing experience.;)

Learning experience in humiliation. ;)

TwinkiSpore, I did the ride on a 2 stroke, no problem.......granted it wasn't yellow, it was purple. :moon:

scar tissue

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 27, 2000
Originally posted by RMjeff

...but I can stay on a trail. :moon:

Where's the fun in that :| :moon: :uh: :thumb:

TwinSpar

AssClown WannaBe
N. Texas SP
Aug 18, 1999
Originally posted by Farmer John

TwinkiSpore, I did the ride on a 2 stroke, no problem.......granted it wasn't yellow, it was purple. :moon:

You also&nbsp; rode god's bike.&nbsp; 97CR250! :)

Farmer John

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 8, 2000
Originally posted by TwinCam
You also rode god's bike. 97CR250! :)

No, I sold that bike. I cannot tell you how much I miss that bike. Selling it was one of the dumbest things I have ever done. :think:

I rode my dual sport - 94 KTM 440 EXC.

dirtjunkie

~SPONSOR~
Mar 1, 2001
Hey farmer J. and crew; I was tooling around those woods too last Weekend. We were greeted by Big E. Friday night around dark, he came down off the hill to take us back up there. If your ever going to buy one of those headlights with the double 35watt bulbs don't... the flood bulb just hightlights the dust so it's like driving in the fog. We spent the night at his house in Silverlake and went to breakfast with his wife and 8mo old son "little E" .
Saturday we "finally" got moving around 11:00 and managed to run Big E off the trail and broke his radiator. Bummer he was our guide too, oh well we had a map so we sent him home on the hwy. We got in 81 miles Saturday,crossed deep creek at the fishing hole too and it choked both of our 450's. I thought after my son Shawn only made it 3/4 of the way I'd finesse it across and show him how dad does it, riiiiiiiiiiight... made it about a 1/3 of the way. After ringing out our socks then taking the north/east loop around near Big Pine campground. Now I started remember things after we hit the Malcom Smith trail. First and only time up there was with DRN a few years ago when I met Thumbs and Eel, GSR and Mr.Lucky. We must have passed a Ranger Rover Club with 30 road blocks,,, I mean vehicles. Just sitting there gosh that must be fun. A big thanks to Scar and RMJeff who got us the general direction up there.
dj
PS!!! Outdoor Life network Channel Thur. at 7:00p and Friday at 10:00p Red protruck "rollover red" in action. #1217 Sorry for that shameless plug.

Top Bottom