Ivan Liechty

Aug 18, 1999
Anyone using Sunoco in their YZF or WR250F?

I bought a few gallons today and am going to try it this weekend.

I got the stuff from the same place that Randy Hawkins gets his race gas. The same stuff.

It's blue. I hope it's cool.

------------------
Ivan Liechty
A#1 Annoyance
'01 YZ250F "Piglet"
Spartanburg, SC

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Ivan - There is no 105 pump octane Sunoco :) If it's Blue and unleaded then it's GT Plus, if it's Blue WITH lead it's Sunoco Supreme. Both should work well in the piglet.

------------------
Rich Rohrich
==

"Wisdom is not a product of schooling but of the life-long attempt to acquire it."
- Albert Einstein

Ivan Liechty

Aug 18, 1999
They said it was 105... I guess it is another. It is blue and unleaded.

I can't wait to try it out.

Yipppeeee....

------------------
Ivan Liechty
A#1 Annoyance
'01 YZ250F "Piglet"
Spartanburg, SC

mgorman

May 8, 2000
I was told that running an octane higher than recommended would burn too slow and cause unburnt fuel to build up as carbon. In some cases as cars or bikes that have an average compression ratio, it can cause a decrease in performance rather than an increase.

Any one have proof of this beening true or false?

------------------
mgorman,
Thumping since 1980
"If the competition is not wasted, the day is"

Ivan Liechty

Aug 18, 1999
Rich has posted several times with many independant references that counter those claims.

IMO, from what I have learned, use race gas under 2 conditions.

1) If your bike needs it. Mine Doesn't.

2) If you can afford it. I can and I want to see what improvements I will notice, if any. Plus Randy Hawkins runs the same stuff :eek:

There are some enhancements to race gas but you have to jet for it. The consistency of the grade is better then pump. However, guys like me rarely notice the difference :)

------------------
Ivan Liechty
A#1 Annoyance
'01 YZ250F "Piglet"
Spartanburg, SC

Dash Riprock

Jul 13, 2000
Let me say first that I am NOT a expert on fuels. I run Sunoco in my YZ250F and I can tell you it does run better when I do so. I've gone with straight pump, straight Sunoco, and a combination of each mixed together. By far, running total race gas works the best for my bike, where I live. That's the truth. :)

Dash

vw

Dec 13, 2000
I tries VP C12 in my new yz250f and if was not good. The dike did not have the pull that the 93 or 94 pump does. Maybe I got bad gas but after my experience pump gas is WAY better.

blakemx124

Feb 16, 2001
Rich Rohrich, I know from previous posts, you seem very knowledgeable on race fuels. We presently use VP C-11 in our 250F on race days and pump gas for practice and no jetting changes. The throttle resonse is so much better with the C-11 as well as the overall feel of the motor. I'm curious about the VP MR-2 that the factory guys run. I can get it from the same distributor at the high cost of $11/gallon. It's one of VP's oxygenated fuels and is said to actually increase horsepower as well as throttle response. If I used this fuel, it would only be on race days (too expensive for all the time). My questions are can you give me some insight on the increased horsepower claims, and from your experience,will I need to jet differently when switching back and forth from MR-2 to pump gas. Thanks in advance for your answers. If there is anyone else that has any experience with the VP MR2 please comment. Thanks!!

------------------

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Switching from C11 to MR2 will require a much richer setup to accomodate the additional oxygen with MR2. There is no arguement that oxygenated fuels can make more power and the response across the board is improved with their use. In many cases you can run less ignition advance with the oxy fuels which tends to provide a small power increase as well, although at this point I can't verify if that is the case on the 250F. Switching between those two fuels would be a pretty big hassle unless you regualrly pull the carb as part of your maintenance schedule. I have reason to believe that Phillips B35 (oxy) may burn a bit quicker than MR2 and may be a better choice if you spend a lot of time high in the rev range. I hope to get a chance to test that notion on Pokie's 250F in the coming weeks.

------------------
Rich Rohrich
==

"Wisdom is not a product of schooling but of the life-long attempt to acquire it."
- Albert Einstein

Ivan Liechty

Aug 18, 1999
My wife will also be riding her 1986 SP125 around. Should I just get some pump for her or will it be ok with the GT Plus?

------------------
Ivan Liechty
A#1 Annoyance
'01 YZ250F "Piglet"
Spartanburg, SC

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Ivan - The Sunoco won't hurt the SP, but it seems silly to waste the money when your wife will never know the distance. Just get some pump gas and add a little stabilizer to it so you don't have to think about .

------------------
Rich Rohrich
==

- Albert Einstein

blakemx124

Feb 16, 2001
Rich, when you said that I would need to run richer jetting to run the VP MR-2 when coming off of pump gas, would that be a main jet only change or also possible pilot and needle changes as well? Does MR-2 give a couple of horsepower gain if jetted properly? Is there a big difference in performance between C-11 and MR-2? Also you also mentioned a possible retarding of the timing with MR-2. If I experimented with timing, would I have to do anything with the throttle position sensor on the carb (I hope not!!)? I wish I could try the Phillips fuel but I don't believe it is available near my home. The VP fuel is available 5 miles down the road so my choices are limited. And my final question what do you think of octane boosters added to pump gas to achieve performance results at a cheaper price? Thanks so much for your help and answers to these questions.

------------------

Ivan Liechty

Aug 18, 1999
Originally posted by Rich Rohrich:
Ivan - The Sunoco won't hurt the SP, but it seems silly to waste the money when your wife will never know the distance. Just get some pump gas and add a little stabilizer to it so you don't have to think about .

Just wanting to make sure b/c I don't know how much she'd ride so I didn't want to take 2 jugs if she was only going to ride a mile. I was only going to use the Sunoco in an emergency.

Turns out she rode the hell out of the bike but didn't run out of gas so I'm taking 2 jugs today.

Thanks
Ivan

------------------
Ivan Liechty
A#1 Annoyance
'01 YZ250F "Piglet"
Spartanburg, SC

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Originally posted by blakemx124:
Rich, when you said that I would need to run richer jetting to run the VP MR-2 when coming off of pump gas, would that be a main jet only change or also possible pilot and needle changes as well?

The lean effect will be across the board. The 250F seems a bit lean to start with so plan on breaking out the jets, and probably adjusting the needle.

Does MR-2 give a couple of horsepower gain if jetted properly? Is there a big difference in performance between C-11 and MR-2?

As long as you get the jetting correct you'll see a noticeable improvement on the track. As for HOW MUCH horsepower? Fuel testing is pretty difficult to isolate on generic dyno setups, so I tend to ignore most horsepower claims.

Also you also mentioned a possible retarding of the timing with MR-2. If I experimented with timing, would I have to do anything with the throttle position sensor on the carb (I hope not!!)?

To do it right YES. If you are concerned about it don't bother. It's a LOT of testing for a small return with a fixed curve non-adjustable ignition system like the stocker has.
And my final question what do you think of octane boosters added to pump gas to achieve performance results at a cheaper price?

The 250F doesn't need additional octane so OTC boosters are of ZERO value on this bike. They will do far more harm than good in the 250F or the big YZFs.

------------------
Rich Rohrich
==

- Albert Einstein

Ivan Liechty

Aug 18, 1999
I ran the 104 GTS Plus in my F this past weekend.

Much crisper throttle response. Also, more sensitive to temp changes.

In the 85 degree temp on Saturday the bike was awesome.

In the 70 degree and high humidity on Sunday it was ok when revved but down low it wasn't that great. No bogs, but less power, seemed rich IMO. It didn't cut out but it didn't snap too like on Saturday.

------------------
Ivan Liechty
A#1 Annoyance
'01 YZ250F "Piglet"
Spartanburg, SC

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Ivan - That fuel isn't that sensitive to temp changes, and neither is the 250F. Chances are good that it was a bit too rich on the cool day too. Adjusting the pilot fuel screw 1/4 to 1/2 turn should suffice for a those differences.

------------------
Rich Rohrich
==

- Albert Einstein

Top Bottom