jackdrinker

Apr 11, 2003
Hey folks,
I have a quick Q'.... I emailed "johnny law" about being legal to ride from Sunrise Lake camground to the Evart trail head and I got a loop-de-loop answer... This was his reply

Reference your question. To legally ride a dirtbike on a public roadway it must meet all safety requirements and be licensed, and insured. To ride on the orv trails it does not. Road from Sunrise Lake to the trail head is public access.

So, what is public access? Can I ride from camp to trail?

YZMAN400

Dec 2, 2003
I doubt it. Unless that county has there roads open to orv's (which not many have at this point) I doubt it. 2trackr will know for sure though. Im sure he'll pop in shortly.

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
jackdrinker said:
Hey folks,
I have a quick Q'.... I emailed "johnny law" about being legal to ride from Sunrise Lake camground to the Evart trail head and I got a loop-de-loop answer... This was his reply

Reference your question. To legally ride a dirtbike on a public roadway it must meet all safety requirements and be licensed, and insured. To ride on the orv trails it does not. Road from Sunrise Lake to the trail head is public access.

So, what is public access? Can I ride from camp to trail?

Public Access means it's a public road and needs to meet the requirements to be ridden on a public road.

2TrakR

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2002
You need a plate to get from Sunrise campground to the Evart Trail.

That section of county road is also, according to the locals, notoriously patrolled by the DNR just to catch unlicensed (no plate) ORVs (bike/ATV) riding down the road to the trail.

SNDMN2

Jul 18, 2003
I got popped on that road a couple years ago. I was riding with my son and came across a flat tire. I hopped on the road to head back to the 7 mile parking lot to fix it. We didn't go 100 feet and met the man with the rolling bubblegum machine. I explained to him my situation and that I didn't just drive 175 miles to cut the trail short.He didn't ticket us but he did make us ride trail back. :ride:

WomanRider

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jul 19, 2006
Johnathan
In my opinion, the Sunrise campground is not the most pleasant one out there. I find it a little trashy compared to the others. I see other campers camping near the parking lot at the south end of the trail. I do not know what the range is from a state forest campground to be legal. I believe you would need a permit. Hopefully someone can clarify the camping rules.

WR

2TrakR

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2002
I thought Sunrise was OK when I was there (small & not good for big rigs) but that was a couple years ago.

You need to be more than 1 mile from a State Forest Campground (State Park, too I believe) to camp on State Land. Sunrise is a private/county campground, the distance doesn't apply to it.
A dispersed camping permit from the DNR is required to camp on State land; free from DNR (usually have to pick up from DNR office). Normally can't camp in a parking lot.

mykski2

Feb 26, 2006
My son and I just rode Evart last Saturday. We did ride up to Sunrise lake just to take a break at the north end of the loop. It is marked in several areas that you must be a licenced vehicle to travel the road. From the lake access it is marked as a seasonal road. Both my son and I are plated, so it is a nice option. Funny thing though, we did see a couple of quads cruising down one of the fire lanes. Probably a local that knew when and where to ride. By the way. This was this old guys first trip to Evart. It was defiantly a challenge, but
I came out of it un-scared and no new dents or scratches.
WOOOO-HOOO!

jackdrinker

Apr 11, 2003
WomanRider said:
JackDrinker when are you riding Evart?

My brother and I are doing a day trip the weekend of the 23rd,
Cori and I were staying in Lake the week of August 17th, BUT, as of today plans have changed.. My brothers company rents a resort home in the UP for company snowmobile trips, this house was so nice they got for June-August also.. They offered it for us to stay the week, so we are taking it..
It's in Brimley, on lake Superior...
SO, soon I'll be asking for single track trails in the UP, also we will be doing the tourist sites and drinking lots O' drinks..

YZMAN400

Dec 2, 2003
2TrakR said:
I thought Sunrise was OK when I was there (small & not good for big rigs) but that was a couple years ago.

You need to be more than 1 mile from a State Forest Campground (State Park, too I believe) to camp on State Land. Sunrise is a private/county campground, the distance doesn't apply to it.
A dispersed camping permit from the DNR is required to camp on State land; free from DNR (usually have to pick up from DNR office). Normally can't camp in a parking lot.

DNRcampingpermit.jpg

If anyone needs a copy send me your e-mail and Ill get ya a higher res JPG file that you can print out on some heavy stock paper. Dont use the normal thin copy machine paper. Find some heavier paper stock that will withstand the elements a little. Thats what the DNR prints them on.

You can try right clicking on the above image and save as but I dont think it will be high enough res for printing to 8.5x11. Photobucket downsizes the res when I upload. The one on my computer is higher res than the one you see here.

Top Bottom