SteveTroi

Dec 6, 2006
Hey - I did some research here on DRN concerning the availability of molybdenum disulfide grease/oil and there are definately loads of good information, Thanks for that.

The bottom line is that after reading the recommendations on various products out there, I've searched my local MX shop, small hardwares, and chain stores (Walmart,HDepot) and can't find any moly grease anywhere - the clerks are usually uninformed and point me in the direction of "Acme Grease" :laugh: I did find a Moly dry film aerosol at a local sportsman's store.

Concerning a YZ Power Valve re-assembly, I've decided to do the following:

Apply the Moly dry fim lubricant to the main PV and apply Super Lube Gease (Synthetic) to the pully grooves (the manual calls for Moly Oil on both) See SuperLube specs here

Does this get the thumbs up from anyone? I just want to button up this project. :bang: Thanks!

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
I use Super Lube everywhere, linkages, power valves, seals. It's great stuff. In places where there is high loading, like the suspension linkages, I "fortify" it with some anti-seize to be on the safe side.

76GMC1500

Uhhh...
Oct 19, 2006
I used high temp disk brake bearing grease for the power valve linkage (it contains a high amount of moly but nowhere near the 40-60% recommended by the OEMs). I used a little 2-stroke oil for the actual valves.

elcamino12sec

Jan 16, 2006
Moly grease (lube) is usually engine assembly lube, you can get it in most auto parts stores. I know for sure that Napa carries it, the package is a tube you squeze it out of kinda like tooth paste, but quite larger.

76GMC1500

Uhhh...
Oct 19, 2006
That stuff is still nowhere near the 40-60% stuff the OEM's recommend. True moly paste looks like metal powder in paste form. Loctite makes some, good luck finding it.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
Competition Cams rebuild paste can be found at AutoZone, and can be bought on-line from their site.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom